1:21

I'm not sure when it happened or why

I'm not sure when it happened or why. My chair is so close to Fabian's that I can hear his breath with every movement he makes. Each time I hear it a warmth fills me deeply.

"I hope you're working hard. I don't employ slackers." A playful smile covers his face.

"You should fire yourself then." My eyes roam over his body. Since last night I haven't been able to keep my eyes to myself. No woman would be able to if they ever were to see what I had last night. If they felt what pleasure, he had given me last night they would've locked him away. Thankfully I had a tiny bit of self-control not to.

He scoffs but the playful look on his face let me know he finds me amusing. Which is more comforting than I could have anticipated. I mean here is this smart, hardworking, family oriented, sexy as sin, (not to mention wealthy, superbly so) man. And here he is smiling at me.

"You're not even my boss." I scoff at him.

"True, I'm your boss's boss. Better?" I flicked him off not paying any attention to his quip. Instead, I am laser focused on my own work. Specifically, the case of who had fucked with Zaviano. I promised him that I would find out who had attacked him. Surely, Lennox Klein, never goes back on her word.

Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe the myriad of emotions I had felt at seeing him laid in the hospital bed. Just the thought of remembering him in a hospital gown had me gritting my teeth. If I didn't stop soon I would have none left. Whoever dared to attack Zaviano so viciously would pay for it. Not that I believed the attacker was better off for wear. Zaviano had gotten his own set of punches on the attacker. For some reason that isn't satisfying enough for me.

My email dinged with the information I had been waiting for. It had taken some time for Rocco to sift through reported attacks on the day Zaviano had been. Shit. I completely forgot to find out which area he had been attacked in. Without that it would be near impossible for Rocco to narrow information down.

"Fabian, where was Zaviano attacked?" I continue to type as I await a response. Instead of words all I hear is a grunt. The playfulness previously in his voice faded away. An icy seriousness instead replaces it.

"Lennox." He speaks in a warning tone that halfway annoys me and halfway turns me on. "You don't need to worry about that."

"Just tell me." Exasperation flashes through me. It is not his place to tell me what to worry about. "Why do you need to know?" The normal ease of banter we usually have is not there at all.

"I can just go and ask him myself." I turn from the hunk of a man back to my own computer. I hated to think this but it's almost as if he is hiding something.

"Lennox. Don't make him relive that. Whatever you think you're helping I assure you you're not." His words are venom. I have no response for them. Maybe this is just the real Fabian. This is what happens when you don't take the time to actually get to know someone. "Whatever heinous thing you're convincing yourself of stop it."

"You do not have nor will you ever have the right to tell me what to do." I slam my hands on the desk standing to my shaky feet. This is why I stay on my toes. This reason right here is why I don't jump into the deep end without knowing what is exactly waiting at the bottom. "I made a promise. Not to you but to him. Maybe your word doesn't mean jack shit but mine does."

"Lennox-" I interrupt whatever bullshit he intends to spew. I have no patience for it. "There's only two options. Either tell me where he was that night or I will go and ask myself." The tension that fills the air is clear. This is the moment where he decides if he trusts me enough to be completely in his life. He is protective over his family, I understand that. What he doesn't realize is that I'm protective of them too because they're...they're part of my family now.

At this very moment I realize how true that realization is. Each one of the Bianchi's have accepted me and treated me as their own. They have gone out of their way to include me, protect me, things I never knew I needed. With them I laugh, I really laugh. I'm completely myself, not the Lennox Klein the world has somehow made into satan. So no, I wouldn't just stop. Someone hurt someone that I have come to care deeply for.

"I care about your family." When I look into those piercing eyes I find the understanding I can't describe.

Standing from his seat he slowly walks towards me.Fa Each step he takes is in rhythm with my heartbeat. Unintentionally I take two steps back feeling his dark intensity. I wish I could've been the rigid block of stone that I usually am. When he reaches me he wraps his arm around my waist he steadies me. Not just physically but in every way possible.

"It's been taken care of Lennox. You don't need to worry because just like you I love my family too." I nod my head taking in his words. "Fixing things is my default."

"Not with me. Not here, ever." Kissing the top of my head he holds me tighter. Internally I sob for this cynical woman that I have become. Of course, Fabian would have handled the situation by now. Zaviano is his brother. What right do I have to demand anything in this situation?

A knock at the door grabs my attention. I'm sure Fabian can hear it as well even so he makes no move to answer it. It's not important, not as important as me right now. Goosebumps ripple over my skin at the thought. All of his attention and care is focused solely on me. As giddy as the thought makes me, I also feel guilty. Right outside that door are many people who are not only important to Fabian but have also done their damnedest to make me comfortable. They could need him for a number of things. It's completely unfair for me to reserve all this time of his.

"Go answer the door." I push him away from me to which he protests. Coming to the conclusion that I wouldn't be snuggling in his office he opens the door with a permanent scowl etched on his face.

"We came to announce our arrival, but I'm guessing this is a bad time." I couldn't see past Fabian's body, but I instantly recognized Amara's voice. "You have impeccable timing." Fabian enunciates his disdain towards the interruption.

"You know I can just take myself and dinner back to my apartment." Physically I can't see it but I can practically feel her eye roll. Amara is the only person I know who could rival me in that area.

"We're probably interrupting. Maybe we should have stayed in the city." This time I hear Genevieve's worried voice. A layer of thick sadness coats her words. That is absolutely not what I want. This is their home. They should be here too. I swear I'm going to kill Fabian when we're alone. His sisters just love him and want to spend time with him.

"Can we stop the melodrama please?" I can hear a grunt followed by a laugh. Two different sets of arms wrap around his waist. "We'll be down in a few minutes." I'm not sure how he is able to but he turns completely gentle when it comes to his sisters. The fire he previously had has sizzled and all that is left is a sensation of warmth.

When he's finished speaking to them he gently closes the door. Again he walks towards me. This time I don't retreat. I stay rooted in place waiting for him to reach me. This time I'm willing and I am completely ready for him.