Two

" Only Aslan can help your brother now

" Only Aslan can help your brother now. "

"ISN'T THERE anything we can do to help Tumnus?" asked Peter, the eldest of the four siblings.

The conversation had been going on for hours. Olivia and the Beavers explained a little bit about Narnia to the siblings. Olivia also shared a bit of her own story, though Edmund rolled his eyes from time to time. They discussed Mr Tumnus, and Olivia picked up on some key traits of each sibling.

Peter, the eldest, was the family's protector. He was friendly and polite, and Olivia admired his courage. She understood his desire to protect his family, but she also saw his attempts to redeem himself with Tumnus, knowing how much the faun meant to Lucy. 

Susan, the big sister, had a logical mind. Even after hours of conversation, she couldn't fully grasp the reality of Narnia, despite having sensed the coldness of the snow and stepping on the land. Olivia could relate to Susan's scepticism and found herself mirroring the older girl's thought process. But, they were not that alike. 

Lucy, the youngest, was kind, polite, sympathetic, and cheerful. She had been the first Pevensie Olivia had talked to, and she quite liked her already. Olivia was drawn to Lucy's positive energy and admired her curiosity and intelligence beyond her years. She was merely ten years old, but it was neat nobody could stop her from reaching her answers. 

The only one Olivia didn't like was Edmund. He was grumpy, rude, and seemed to have no manners. The girl barely knew the boy, and she already found herself hating him. She sensed his dislike toward her, but she didn't let it bother her, convinced that Edmund only cared about himself. By his attitude, it made her even ponder for a second if he truly was a Pevensie, but all the physical similarities made her discard such a theory. 

"They'll have him taken to the witch's house. You know what they say. Few go through the gates which come out of there," explained Beaver in response to Peter's question.

Mrs Beaver tried to comfort Lucy, who had a sad expression on her face, by offering her some fish and chips. Olivia could see the genuine concern and compassion in Mrs Beaver's actions. Beavers were normally very affectionate creatures, very light-hearted and careful. 

Mr Beaver, drinking his juice, accidentally spat it out when his wife spoke. Olivia lightly tapped his back, offering a small gesture of support.

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" exclaimed Beaver, leaning in and whispering. "Aslan is on the move," he said as if sharing a precious secret.

Olivia smiled. "That is correct," she chimed in. Edmund scoffed at her response, thinking she was full of herself. He examined her erect posture, the way her chin tilted up. Perhaps it was mockery or her swelling pride, but it didn't matter in Edmund's mind. 

The mention of Aslan brought warmth to the Pevensies' hearts. Though they hadn't heard of him before, just the sound of his name filled them with hope. Olivia, too, felt a shiver of awe whenever she heard Aslan's name mentioned—a comforting presence that made her feel safe. It always seemed to have that effect on her.