Eight

" Stop there or perish! "

THE DAWN TREADER got to another island. The place was very beautiful, but it seemed to be uninhabited, for they saw no sign of housing or any creatures of some kind. But, logically, they stopped on that island because if the lords had sailed east towards the mist, then they would have stopped on the island.

When they hit shore, the sun was already setting, so Caspian gave the order that they would spend the night there, and during the day they could head out to explore. The crew happily adjusted in the sand to sleep ( but it was difficult to fall into slumber, because many of them snored ).

But, when morning came to be, the crewmen got scared because Lucy and Olivia had disappeared. Caspian, the first who had awakened, woke up everyone else, and when Edmund woke, he came to be in a state of panic as he yelled the names of his sister and fiancée.

They all had immediately rushed through the sand, following the large trail of steps left behind. But, they left a sleeping Eustace back on the beach.

Edmund and Caspian led the way through trees and grass, until what they found astounded them.

They found Olivia tied up against a tree, with a piece of fabric wrapped around her mouth. She debated herself against the ropes that restrained her, but it was no use.

" Olivia! " - Edmund yelled, horrified. He charged towards the girl, but an invisible force held him back and made him plummet to the ground. Caspian grabbed on the ground a familiar dagger, Lucy's dagger, the gift from father christmas.

Drinian helped Edmund up, and when he was about to go towards Olivia again, a bunch of flying spears came towards the group, trapping them in a semi-circle.

" Stop there or perish! " - Came a voice with the source unknown. The crewmen started debating themselves, their weapons suddenly started flying, and invisible punches were thrown at them.

" What sort of creatures are you? " - Asked Caspian from the ground.

" Big creatures with the head of a tiger and the body of a... uh... "

" A different tiger! "

" Yeah! "

Suddenly, the sources of the voices started to become visible. " You don't want to mess with us! " said one of them.

" Or what? " - Edmund asked.

" Or we will claw you to death! " - When they became visible, the creatures weren't actually scary. They revealed small people with a single foot and messy hair.

" You mean squash us, with your fat bellies? " - Edmund laughed.

" Yes! Wait, what? "

" Or tickle us with your toes? " - Caspian laughed too.

Suddenly, the small men fell to the ground. Edmund and Caspian pointed their swords to the necks of the one they assumed to be the leader.

" Untie her! " - Edmund commanded the crewmen, and they headed for the tree and undid the knot on the ropes and helped her down. The girl thanked them and grabbed her spear from the grass. Olivia went and stood beside Edmund, and he quickly held her close by the waist and kissed the top of her head. He moved his attention to the small creature by his feet.

" What have you done with my sister, you little pipsqueak? " - He asked angrily.

" Now, calm down... "

" Where is she? " - Edmund insisted. The creatures started with chants of 'tell him chief'.

" In the mansion. " - The chief said.

" What mansion? " - Edmund asked.

As Edmund said, a rumbling sound came to hear and it only got louder. The crewmen looked to their right, and they saw a gigantic house coming to view.

" Oh. That mansion. " - Edmund realised as he blinked. It was at that moment that Olivia doubted if she was going absolutely bananas.

" You know, i'm getting tired of you all leaving me behind- " - Eustace appeared from the bushes, but he stopped mid-sentence when he saw the scene of the small creatures with the single foot. They all looked at Eustace and started exclaiming: ' The pig! ' ' Look, the pig is back! '

" This place just gets weirder and weirder. " - Eustace signed as all the attention diverted to him.

From the gates of the mansion, Lucy walked out with a man by her side. He looked to be a bit old, in his mid 50's or 60's. Lucy held a firm smile, and she seemed to be very calm about the situation. ' The oppressor! The oppressor! ' the creatures exclaimed.

" Lucy! " - Olivia smiled as she turned on her heel to see the younger girl. The man by her side looked at Caspian, Edmund and Olivia and he bowed.

" Your majesties. " - He said.

" Caspian, Edmund and Olivia. This is Coriakin. It's his island. " - Lucy clarified, and Olivia's mouth made an '0' shape. The three of them faced the elder man and bowed.

" That's what he thinks. You have wronged us, magician. " - The chief of the creatures exclaimed, raising his eyebrows in defiance.

" I have not wronged you. " - The man walked forward to the creatures, who would jump away, using their single foot. - " I made you invisible for your own protection. "

" Protection? "

" That's oppressive! "

" Oppressor! "

" I have not oppressed you. "

" But you could've, if you wanted to. "

Coriakin signed, and threw something from his hand. " Begone! " - He said, and the creatures jumped away in fright as something white escaped his hands.

" What was that? " - Asked Lucy.

" Lint. But don't tell them. " - Coriakin smiled.

Eustace looked at the chittering creatures who were jumping away in fright. - " What were those things? "

" Dufflepuds. " - Coriakin bluntly said.

" Oh, right, of course, silly me. "