Three

" I'm sorry, my friend

" I'm sorry, my friend. "

Wattpad does not like me and it doesn't allow me to edit chapters and republish them, so I have to copy and paste and create a whole new one 💀 anyways, grammatical errors fixed, urd4ds1inchp1nch thanks for commenting my mistake otherwise I wouldn't have seen it.

"HURRY, MAMA! They're after us!" Mr Beaver rushed inside the dam, followed closely by the four humans.

"Oh, right then," Mrs Beaver responded, springing into action.

"What is she doing?" Peter inquired, observing Mrs Beaver packing her belongings.

"You'll thank me later. It's a long journey, and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," Mrs explained, joining Susan to assist with the packing.

"I'm cranky now!" Beaver exclaimed, his frustration evident.

Olivia quickly gathered bread and wrapped it in a sheet of paper. Susan asked if they should bring jam, to which Beaver humorously responded, "Only if the witch serves toast!" Their light banter was abruptly interrupted by the menacing howls and growls of the approaching wolves. The wolves had caught the scent of humans.

They sprang into action, making their way to the secret passage. With Beaver leading the way and Peter and Olivia holding torches, they followed him. Beaver explained the origins of the tunnel.

"Badger and I dug this. It comes right out near his place," Beaver informed them.

"You told me it led to your mum's," Mrs Beaver interjected, but they all understood that now was not the time for a disagreement. They were united in their urgency to escape the imminent danger.

Lucy stumbled on a rock, producing a loud thud that echoed through the narrow passage. The group came to a halt to ensure Lucy's well-being.

"Lucy!" Susan exclaimed, immediately rushing to her sister's aid. In the brief silence that followed, the sounds of the wolves presence in the tunnels became unmistakable.

"They're in the tunnels," Lucy realized, her fear evident.

"Quick! This way!" Peter urged, and they resumed their hurried pace. No one complained; instead, they encouraged one another with quick phrases like "Hurry!" and "Quick!" to maintain their momentum.

Finally, they arrived at a dead end with a hole on top designed for Mr Beaver to climb through. Mrs Beaver voiced her frustration about the absence of a map, and Beaver playfully responded, "There wasn't room next to the jam!" He then climbed up through the hole. The Pevensies and Olivia exchanged glances before following Beaver's lead.

They emerged from the ground, finding themselves in a tree. Once the last person had climbed out, they hastily sealed the hole to prevent the wolves from pursuing them. They used a barrel to cover the opening, hoping it would be enough to deter the wolves.

With the immediate danger averted Olivia finally allowed herself a moment to relax. She took a deep breath and exhaled, trying to calm her racing heart. The others followed suit, taking a moment to collect themselves and adjust to the new surroundings.

As Olivia approached, she recognized the statues of the frozen animals. She looked back to see Lucy had fallen on several frozen figures. Beaver stood in front of the statue of Badger, his best friend, frozen solid by the witch's magic.

"I'm so sorry, dear," Mrs Beaver comforted her husband, gently caressing his fur.

"He was my best mate," Beaver mourned, his voice filled with grief.

Among the statues, one particular figure caught Olivia's attention—Piple the Badger. Piple was the last Narnian she had seen before embarking on her journey to find the Pevensies. He was the only creature besides Aslan that she considered a friend.

Olivia knelt in the snow, facing Piple's lifeless body. She pressed her forehead against his stomach, allowing a single tear to trickle down her cheek.

"I'm sorry for not protecting you, Piple." Olivia whispered, her voice filled with sorrow. The others turned to her, taken aback by her display of emotion.

Queen Olivia was known for her stoicism and efficiency. She rarely showed her emotions, and animals had never witnessed her shedding a tear. Piple's tiny paws still held Olivia's old crown, frozen in time.

"What happened here?" Peter inquired while Susan helped Olivia to her feet. Lucy swiftly embraced Olivia, offering comfort, and Olivia gratefully sank into the embrace.

"This is what happens to those who defy the witch," a fox emerged from the trees, answering Peter's question.

Startled, Olivia positioned herself protectively in front of Lucy, nocking an arrow and taking a defensive stance.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll reduce you to splinters!" Beaver threatened as Peter positioned himself defensively in front of his sisters. Olivia's bow remained aimed at the fox's eye.

"Relax. I'm one of the good guys," the fox retorted, leaping down from a nearby rock.

"Careful, or I might just release this arrow right now," Olivia warned, her voice filled with determination. The fox stared at her, stunned.

"Your Majesty," the fox bowed, but Olivia maintained her unwavering stance. The fox realized the tension in the air, fully aware of Olivia's reputation for caution and mercilessness.

"I am one of the good guys! I mean it," the fox pleaded, trying to reassure them.

"Yeah? Well, you certainly look like one of the bad ones," Mr Beaver retorted, scepticism lingering in his voice.

"An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can discuss lineage later. Right now, we need to move," the fox suggested, sensing the urgency of the situation.

Just as the sound of approaching wolves reached their ears, Peter inquired about their plan. The fox smirked, and they all knew they had to act quickly.

---🍄---

They found themselves perched atop a tree, the fox positioned below, ready to face the approaching wolves. With no escape route in sight, they could only wait and hope for the best.

"Greetings, gents," the fox greeted the approaching wolves with feigned politeness. "Lost something, have we?"

"Don't patronize me!" a wolf snarled. "I know where your loyalty lies. We're looking for humans."

The fox chuckled falsely. "Humans? Here in Narnia? There is only Miss Olivia! Now, that's a valuable piece of information, don't you think?" The fox attempted to be clever, but the wolves, driven by their authority, were not amused.

The wolves growled, preparing to attack the fox, leaving him in a vulnerable position.

"Your life is your reward. It's not much, but it'll have to do," the leader growled. Olivia discreetly readied her arrow, determined not to lose another creature that day.

The children anxiously wondered if the fox would reveal their whereabouts to the wolves.

"Where are the fugitives?" the fox whimpered. Olivia's heart softened, but her focus remained unwavering.

The fox panted before answering, "North. They went north." He then laid his head down, appearing defeated.

"Smell them out," the leader commanded. The fox was hurled against a tree, and the pack of wolves hastily departed. The injured creature winced, his pain evident.

Olivia jumped down from the tree as soon as the wolves were out of sight.

"I'm sorry, my friend," she said, kneeling beside the wounded fox.

"It's alright, my Queen."