Chapter 3: The Emerald Forest

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Ruby P.O.V.

As I'm falling, I see a black bird flying majestically in the wind at the last minute and crash through it, panicking. As I'm pummeling in a ball of feathers, I profusely apologize.

"Birdie! No!"

I grab my Crescent Rose and fire a few shots off to slow my descent, then change my rifle form into its scythe form to catch a branch and drop down at a more manageable pace.

Weiss P.O.V.

With Myrtenaster, I summon a glyph under me and leap off to land on the forest floor.

Ren P.O.V.

I descend and spin in the air, using my pistols, StormFlower, and catch onto a tree's trunk with the blades. I then spin down and brush my clothes off to see a girl with yellow hair flying over me...

Yang P.O.V.

"Woo-hoo! Yeah! Alley-oop!"

As I'm soaring right over the treetops, I'm using Ember Celica and its fiery force to push myself through the air further and further north. As I'm spinning and laughing with each blast, I crash through the leaves of a tree as I tumble, then leap off of trunks to tumble to the ground. I pump my fist into the air as I run off.

"Nailed it!"

Pyrrha P.O.V.

With my weapon in sword form and armed with a shield, I crash through several trees and roll on a branch, immediately shifting my blade into a rifle and looking through the scope at Jaune as he continues to scream and fall helplessly. I transform my weapon again to its javelin form, take a moment to evaluate my throw, and throw the javelin deep into the forest until I hear a thunk and Jaune yell from a distance.

"Thank you!"

"I'm sorry!"

Y/N P.O.V.

As I'm falling, I throw my grappling hook at a large tree next to a thick branch. As the hook hits, I swing by the cord and pull myself to the tree branch and look down.

I see a smooth climb down, so I grab the grappling hook I threw at the tree and jump down, the cord slowing my descent. As I land, I yank my grappling hook to pull it out and catch it, then place it back in my coat. I hold one of Rising Tides at my side to dispose of any Grimm on my way north.

Ruby P.O.V.

As I'm running through the forest, I see Weiss looking around and I pause as we look each other in the eyes. Weiss turns on her heal and walks the other way.

"Wait! Where are you going?! We're supposed to be teammates..."

"Come on, come on! Stupid...!"

Weiss sees Jaune hanging a few feet in the air by a spear embedded in his hood and the tree behind him. As he gives up trying to pull it out, he looks down and sees Weiss, giving an embarrassed wave. Weiss groans and simply heads back in the direction she came from as Jaune groans in dejection and she pulls on my hood.

"By no means does this make us friends."

"You came back!"

Jaune P.O.V.

"Wait! Come back! Who's going to get me down from here?!" I hear Pyrrha from below.

"Jaune? Do you... have any spots left on your team?"

"Very funny..."

I look down at her and give a smile, which she returns.

Coco P.O.V.