Chapter 24: Lessons Learned

Y/N P.O.V.

The ship lands and Winter nods at me as we both get up. We exit the ship with AK-200's and crimson soldiers to see Ruby next to Weiss, who cups her mouth.

"Winter!" The two then run up to us as Winter turns to see them. Weiss speaks up, "Winter! I'm so happy to see you! Oh... Your presence honors us."

Winter looks around as she approaches them with me walking by.

"Beacon... It's been a long time. The air feels... different."

Ruby shrugs.

"I mean it is autumn, so, eh, it's probably colder."

Weiss punches Ruby in the shoulder, causing her to gasp in pain before turning back to her sibling.

"So, what are you doing here?"

Winter answers, "Classified."

Weiss sighs. "Oh, right. Well, how long are you staying?"

Winter answers yet again, "Classified."

Weiss turns to me. "Of course. Y/N, is this where you were? What's going on?"

I look to Winter and she nods. I turn back to Weiss.

"I won't give details, so it's classified. However I was sent by the General, if you're wondering why I had to leave so early. Don't worry, we caught the match between Team SSSN and Team NDGO on the way."

Weiss nods and smiles in understanding as Ruby looks pensively around in the silence.

"Well... this is nice... I think."

Weiss speaks excitedly, "You're going to love it here! I know you travel a lot, but so much of Beacon is different from Atlas! Vale, too. The government and school are completely separate! Can you believe it!? I-"

Winter cuts her off, "I'm more than familiar with how this kingdom handles its... Bureaucracy."

Weiss speaks up again.

"Right! I'm sorry!"

Winter turns to her security.

"Leave us."

The AK-200's obey, walking two steps backwards into formation as she sighs and smiles a little more warmly at Weiss, "How have you been?"

Weiss brightens up.

"Oh, splendid! Thank you for asking. I'm actually in the very top rankings of our sparring class! And the rest of my studies are going wonderfully, too! I'm-"

Winter interrupts Weiss as I chuckle.

"Silence, you boob! I don't recall asking about your ranking, I'm asking how you've been. Are you eating properly? Have you taken up any hobbies? Are you making new friends?"

Weiss speaks up, "Well, there's Ruby and Y/N, our boyfriend here. And Blake and Yang."

Ruby giggles.

"Heh, boob." Winter nods as she inspects Ruby.

"I see. So this is the leader you wrote of. How appropriately... underwhelming."

Ruby is puzzled.

"Uh... Thank you!" Winter smiles.

"Greetings, Ruby Rose. I wish to thank you for taking an interest in my sister. You too, Y/N."

Ruby attempts to salute and curtsy.

"Oh! Uh, yes, of course! The honor is in my... court!"

She nearly loses her balance with this gesture, waving her arms until she can get back up. Winter turns to them again.