Chapter 43: Necessary Sacrifice

Third Person P.O.V.

It's morning in Menagerie. 

Y/N, Blake, and Velvet are on the steps of the Belladonna Home holding Scrolls. Blake looks at Y/N and Velvet.

"Okay. Are you ready?" Y/N smirks.

"Come on. You serious?"

Blake gives a smile at Y/N and so does Velvet.

Blake stands on a platform in front of a crowd of Faunus, holding her Scroll up in front of her.

"Your chieftain needs you! Your people need you! Please, join the fight and help us save Haven Academy!"

The Faunus just stare back at Blake.

Elsewhere, Y/N tries to recruit a Faunus with ram horns.

"We'd really appreciate it if you would sign here. If you are willing to fight if that is."

The Faunus nervously rubs the back of his head, before his mother calls out to him.

"Mata! Get back inside."

"Mom!"

"You're not going anywhere!"

Y/N moves on somewhere else.

Back to Blake, she holds out her Scroll to two Faunus girls asking them to sign up, but the two leave.

Elsewhere, Velvet hangs upside down from a tree, getting the attention of a couple of Faunus cutting logs and gathering wood. She gestures to her Scroll with her ears, but the Faunus simply exchange confused looks with each other. Velvet sighs until another Faunus tries to cut down the tree that she is hanging on.

At the docks, Blake converses with an aquatic Faunus as two more swim up to her. The Faunus Blake is conversing with leaves, and she turns to the two female aquatic Faunus that have just swam up, before they too swim away. Blake, unsatisfied with the lack of progress, walks up to a nearby fruit stand where Y/N and Velvet happen to be present at also. Velvet and Blake share disappointed glances as Y/N looks up to them.

After that, the three sit at a table drinking from coconuts. Y/N balances his coconut drink on his tail in front of him.

"I'm severely disappointed. The one person who was just thinking about signing that I've talked to, I believe his name was Mata, his own mother pulled him away." Velvet nods, confused.

"Yes. I don't get it. People are willing to speak, but they're not willing to act. And the ones who take the place of the silent become the loudest." Blake sighs.

"Because not everyone is like you and me. The Faunus here in Menagerie - the ones that weren't born on the island - moved here because they were tired of fighting, of having to struggle constantly. Menagerie is filled with people that just want to be left alone," Blake scoffs, "and here we are, asking them to put the rest of the world before themselves."

"I guess I never really thought about it like that."

"The problem is, whatever happens at Haven is going to affect them whether they like it or not. If Adam gets his way and Haven falls, it's only going to make things worse for the Faunus. Everywhere." Blake sighs and turns to Velvet and Y/N. "Have you ever met someone and thought to yourself, 'They are the personification of this word.'"

Velvet nods.

"Yes. Coco was 'chaos', Fox was 'humor', and Yatsuhashi was "mellow'."

"Okay, well, I remember getting to know Ruby and thinking, 'This girl is the embodiment of 'purity'.' After a while, I saw Weiss was 'defiance'. Yang was 'strength'. And Y/N, you were very hard to pin with one word, but I'd say somewhere around 'identity', 'determination', or 'integrity'."