26- I found a Dolphin

Jaemin Pov

That was so cute! I knew Mark-hyung was older than us and I wondered a little bit about his elf- but now the mystery is solved!

Right now we're walking to Mrs. Lee's cafe, since I still have a shift to do. Jisungie is walking with me, Mark-hyung and Haechanie in front of us and Jeno and Renjunie behind. I'm just a little sad we have to part ways already, but it's okay, they'll have fun at Haechan's house.

I must've lost track of time because- we're here.

Jeno pulls open the door for me, I smile at him and step inside, then turn around to face my friends.

"Thank you guys for hanging out today! Congratulations again Mark-hyung and Haechan, and I hope you guys all have fun," I say, trying to mask the quivering in my voice.

Just as I'm about to walk away a figure jumps on me and I'd loose my balance if it weren't for the door behind me, still held open by Jeno. When I mentally recover I finally hear, "Minnie it's no problem, we love you," and with one final squeeze, Haechan lets go. I wish him a last happy birthday with my eyes, hoping no one can see the pool of tears forming, and turn around before I expose myself. The four of them wave at us as Jeno follows me inside.

Now, I don't really know why I'm crying. It might be because I finally have people I can spend time with. Maybe it's because I don't deserve them. Maybe there's no reason, and I'm just weak.

I walk to the staff room to clock in and grab an apron. I try my best to tie the back, but it still kinda pains me to move my shoulders, so its a little wonky. Ugh, if only I could just heal. Maybe I'm not meant to heal. I'm taken by surprise when I turn around to see Jeno leaning against the wall, staring at me. He must be thinking how pathetic I am... no stop it Jaemin, stop having these negative thoughts. But what's Jeno doing here? I thought he came inside to visit his mother.

I look at him with a confused expression on my face. He steps forward a few paces, brings his arms around my waist and properly knots my apron. Oh my- I want to shrink so bad- but oh, his warmth, it's so- divine.

"Nana," he says, looking into my eyes. We're close in height but it still feels like he's towering over me. I meet his eyes again to show him I'm paying attention.

"Remember what I said, okay? If someone bothers you, tell someone. You can always phone me. The other dude isn't here today, and I'd stay but I have to go back with the guys, so you'll have to be extra brave today. I know you'll do great. Promise me you'll stay safe?"

I nod.

He smiles, retracts his arms and after throwing one last look off his shoulder, leaves the room and walks back outside.

Suddenly I am once again aware of myself. My cheeks feel hot and there's a loud beating in my chest. Why? I don't know. Its not really a bad feeling. But... am I...? No. This can't be- we just met- and I'm in no way fit to be his partner. Oh quit it, I need to go and fulfill my barista duties.

I first work on cleaning off the counters and the machines, just to give myself something to do. It's pretty late, and no one really grabs a coffee in the evening, so there aren't customers yet. After tidying up, I go over the recipe cards, since I still have yet to master most of them. I wish Taro were here, he'd make it a little less boring.

I hear the door noise. I'm pretty sure its not a door noise. Entry shingles? Um... no that's not it. Uh- presence knowner? What am I saying. I mean the thing, you know, on top of the door, that makes pretty little clinky noises when the door is opened? It lets me know a customer is here.

I force myself to look up, being a barista has its toll on social skills. I put a small smile on face to feel a little more welcoming. My eyes fall upon a pale skinned boy, very cute, a little bit tiny, but I guess he might be close to my age. But he seems like he's not from here- but how would I know?

"Um, hello, welcome to the cafe. How can I help you?"

"Oh, uh, hi.. I'm sorry, my Korean, is... not good. Do you have... food...?" Aw so he must be a foreigner, he has a little accent and he has to think and recall his vocabulary before he finishes his sandwh- I mean sentences. 

"Oh, you're so cute. You remind me of my little brother. I'm Jaemin. Where are you from?" I don't know where this sudden courage came from, but I can't help it. I know Jeno wanted me to be safe, but he's so cute he must be harmless.

"I- I'm Zhong Chenle.. um.. I'm here as... student? I moved. My family. From Shanghai, China." Oh so he's from China! I immediately think of Renjun, and I can picture how Renjun and Chenle would get along.

"Nice to meet you Chenle! Hm, how about you try the vanilla cake? I think you might like it." I suggest, hoping it's not a bad idea. I don't really think he's familiar with our menu. 

"Um, okay yes, thank you." He smiles and hands me a card. I feel bad for making him pay for just a slice of cake, but I can't really do anything about it.

I carefully place the slice on a plate and get the silverware ready on a tray. I bring it back to the counter and place it before him, returning his card also after swiping.

"Thank you. Um. if... not busy... would you mind to... sit... with me? I don't really know... people and you seem.. nice" He says, a hopeful smile on his face.

Awww he wants my company! I didn't know I could attract a stranger like that. I think about it... there really isn't anyone here, and we're kinda close to closing time... so it couldn't hurt, right? Besides, he's lonely.

I lift up the tray. "Sure, let's go," and we walk to a table.

I watch him as he eats, listening. He tells me about how he's scared to start school, but he's also excited, because he actually has a friend in school, it's his online friend who actually taught him most of the Korean he knows. I would've asked what school he's going too, but that seemed too private. He finished his cake happily and bought the rest of it, saying its for his family. He didn't leave, instead still chatted with me while I cleaned up to shut down shop.

We went outside together. It was 9:10 pm, dark and a little cold. That's when I realized- I'm alone. Usually Jeno walks me home... but tonight... I'm alone. I close my eyes, try not to shake, and take a breath so deep I think my lungs actually fill into my ears.

You'll have to be extra brave today. I know you'll do great. 

With Jeno's words replaying in my head, I take a tentative first step. I breath. This should be fine, right? What could go wrong? It's just like the daytime-

Something takes hold of my hand.

I freeze. Oh no... this can't happen.. no not again- I knew it was too good to last-

"Um... Jaemin-hyung? Is it okay if.. I walk with you? I don't want.. to leave you here... yet."

Thank the stars its just Chenle. I breathe out. Hey, maybe it can work out. But should I trust a stranger with my personal locations? Maybe just this one won't hurt... it can't be worse than going alone, right?

"Um, I guess so Chenle. Thank you, let's go"

And we walk myself home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys :) thank you to those of you who voted on the last chapter, it really made my week. I hope you like this chapter, too.

By the way if you're looking for a REALLY really REALLY good nomin story, you guys should read 'He was a Punk. He did Ballet.' by @cosmikaze it's so good! (I haven't finished it yet but I'm halfway through and its good)- it is a little bit different from this story though, a bit more mature, less fantasy, but still good nevertheless. Check it out!

Until next time!

Word count: 1328