Chapter 2

Lyanna stands before her bed, eyeing the three dresses she chose. She needs to decide which dress is best suited to welcome the Royal Family. Her mother taught her that a person can convey a strong message by wearing suitable clothing. Now, she must choose what kind of message she wants to send to the King and his family.

The first dress is light grey with a black criss-cross motif on the bodice. This dress feels too melancholy, not the impression Lyanna wants to make. The second dress was a gift from Highgarden for her twelfth name day earlier this year. It is a beautiful light blue dress with golden flowers flowing from her left shoulder to her right hip. She would love to wear this dress but will save it for tonight's banquet. The last dress, the one she eyed from the beginning, is an all-black dress designed in such a way as to look like armour.

She has never met any of the members of the Royal Family, but she believes that a dragon would appreciate a dress like this. She picks up the black one and gets dressed quickly. Lyanna wants to visit her dire wolf in the Godswood before the King arrives. They received a message a short while ago from one of their scouts saying that the Royal Family would be arriving within the hour.

She quickly braids her dark locks into a neat bun in the nape of her neck before running toward the Godswood. If she is quick, she can spend enough time with Shadow and still be on time for the meeting in the courtyard. Her mother will have her head if she is late.

Her direwolf is not allowed to stay in the castle for fear that when it gets bigger, it won't be able to fit comfortably within the rooms. So, her father decided that the Godswood would be the perfect home for him.

It does not take her long to find her dire wolf, where he is sitting under the weirwood tree, staring at his reflection in the small pond next to it. His head shoots up when he hears her approaching, and he leaps up to run to her. In the few days she's had him, their bond only became stronger. Her dreams also became more intense since she found him. Each one feels more realistic than the last. She knows that something must be wrong with her. It confuses her that she can dream through the eyes of her dire wolf.

She stares up at the weirwood tree, Shadow on her lap, busy biting her fingers. The solemn, carved-out face protruding from the tree watches her every move. Are the gods testing her? Is it because she knows how to listen to nature and understand it when no one else does?

Lyanna is so wrapped up in her thoughts that she hears the sound of the Royal Company arriving too late. She gasps and puts Shadow down. Her mother is going to kill her. She is just past the kitchen when she runs into the solid body of her older brother, Rickard.
"You do know that Mother is going to send you to bed hungry tonight," Rickard says, taking her hand to pull her along with him.
"Is she that mad?" she asks.
Rickard laughs, "It is the King, Lyanna. Of course, she is that mad."

As they get closer to the courtyard, she can hear laughter. At least it doesn't sound like they are upset with her not being there.
"Here she is," says Rickard, all eyes turning to her. Her gaze drops when her mother's eyes fall on her. Lyanna walks towards the King.
She goes into a low curtsy before him, "I am sorry for being late, Your Majesty."
The King laughs heartily, and she dares to look him in the eye. He has a friendly face. The rumours about him being a just and peaceful king are true then.

"My goodness," exclaims the King, "From all your children, your daughter looks the most like a Stark, Lord Rickon."
Her father touches her shoulder, "I am afraid she is also blessed and cursed with a Stark personality."
The King smiles at her, "Your eyes are quite remarkable. Like a winter storm."
She smiles shyly, "Thank you, Your Majesty."
"Raising a daughter is a challenge. Strong-willed daughters are more of a challenge. My daughter, Rhaenyra, is like that."