Chapter 38

The Greenseer stand next to the weirwood, his eyes rolled back into his head with his hand against the tree. She approaches him, waiting patiently for him to return from his trance.

He sighs, "It is time."
Lyanna falls onto her knees beside him, "I don't understand. Why are you dying?"
"I am tired." he says, "I have been the strongest Greenseer for long enough. It is time for me to rest."
"Why me?"

He turns to her, "I have felt the power inside you, Lyanna. I have often tried to push you to the brink of death by entering your mind, but you only crumble under the pain. It showed me enough. You are the next to have my abilities. Just like my teacher before me, who gave me his abilities when he died. "

Lyanna nods, "How does it work?"
"It is straightforward. I touch your temples, transferring it all to you. But it takes some time, and it is excruciating and dangerous. Mother Nature will also change her behaviour after we start."
Lyanna nods, placing her hand on the weirwood, too, "I am ready."

The wolves scatter as the older man looks at them.
"It has been an honour to teach you, Wolf Queen."
She sits closer to him, placing her hands on her knees.
He reaches out his hands, placing them on both sides of her face.
She takes a deep breath. The Greenseer placed his index fingers on her temples, starting the process.

At first, Lyanna can handle the pain running through her head and down her spine. But it gradually started to increase as the knowledge and energy flowing from her teacher became more intense and stronger.

The wind starts blowing, howling around the corners of the castle and pushing and pulling against the strong walls of Winterfell. The dragons roar as they feel the energy floating around the castle. Her wolves also howl.

Then Lyanna gives her first scream as the energy starts to burn, feeling like fire under her skin, pumping through her body with every heartbeat. Dark clouds suddenly gather over the castle, thunder ripping the sky above them.

She sees visions of the past, things the older man saw while he was still young and learning, to images of more recent. Lyanna opens her eyes, feeling them burn as they fall into her skull.

She screams again, this time her scream sending a ripple so strong out of her body that the wall at the entrance of the Godswood cracks.

It feels like an eternity. Not knowing how much longer she will be able to last. Electrical charges stab her brain, trying to crush what they can, but she fights it. She needs to fight whatever is trying to kill her; she needs to take control of it and bend it to her will.
Take control, Lyanna.
She can hear her old teacher's voice in her head fading as his powers fade with him.

I will, she sends him a message back. With a last loud yell, she bends the surges, grabbing them and making them hers.

Suddenly, it all stops, and she opens her eyes, seeing the chaos around her. Broken trees, the cracked wall, and the dead greenseer lying in the snow before her.

She looks at her hands, feeling the power surging through her. She starts laughing. It feels amazing. Looking up, she sees that the face on the weirwood is crying more red fluid than usual. Her wolves come out of the trees, standing close to her. She looks at them, willing them to bow down to her. The wolves lie down at once, putting their heads on their front paws.

"Thank you," she says to the old man, touching him.
Standing up, she feels her legs are still shaking. Never has she felt that magnitude of energy running through her head. She understands that the older man was never just a Greenseer but known as the Three-Eyed Raven. His teacher before him was that as well.

Slowly, with the help of Shadow, she makes her way out of the Godswood, holding onto him to help her walk. What she saw terrified her. It was not just the older man's visions she received but every Three-Eyed Raven before him. And the things she saw made her realise that the Wildling threat is not the biggest threat North of the Wall.

The three Targaryens stand outside in the courtyard, assessing the damage around them.
"It can be fixed," she says as she approaches them.
Aemond grabs hold of her, rubbing the hair from her face. He smiles.
"It was fucking amazing what we just saw and felt." Aegon says as he walks closer, "I don't know what a Greenseer is, but I am glad that you are one."

She laughs, "I think it is time for the wedding?" she glances over her shoulder, "I just need the guards to remove the body from the Godswood."