5: Simple Triggers

[trauma mentions]

"DCS! I know you're in there!"

AURORA FELT her heart drop to the bottom of her stomach, as she sat up quickly on the couch. John B was lying on his stomach next to her, as they both grabbed each other's arms frantically. Rory rolled off the couch and onto the wooden floor, pulling John B down with him so he couldn't be seen by the DCS.

Suddenly, to their surprise, JJ jumped into their view, slamming his hands on the window. He laughed hysterically, pointing childishly at the frightened duo on the floor.

"Gotcha!" JJ laughed, "You should've seen what your faces were like-"

"For fuck sake, J." Aurora tutted, holding her heart to make sure it hadn't stopped- but she couldn't help but smile at her idiotic brother.

John B drove the twins to Lana Grubb's house, trying to find out why that compass was on her dead husbands boat. JJ hung over the two front seats from the back, whilst John B drove,

"I don't understand why you don't try with Kiara. She likes you. She's like Oh John B."

Aurora smirked, putting her hand on his face and pushing him back down so he could not be seen standing in a moving vehicle. The last thing she needed was JJ getting reported by the police for not wearing a seatbelt.

JJ continued from the back seat, "She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you."

"I hate to agree with JJ, but the kiss was a bit far." Rory added in agreement.

"Rory, you've literally kissed me on the cheek and slept next to me on the couch." John B reasoned in defence.

"That's different." Aurora corrected, "We're totally platonic, with a capital P."

"Don't pretend you don't notice it." JJ added, "I can see it in your eyes and you start blushing and shit."

John B scoffed, "I blush?"

Aurora examined the bronze compass and raised her eyebrows, "I got to admit, your dad's compass in Scooter's boat is freaky."

"That's why we're going to Ms. Lana to figure this whole thing out." John B explained.

"I'm sure she'd love to talk to us." JJ replied sarcastically, "It's not like her husband drowned or anything."

The trio got out of the van and slowly walked towards the Grubb's house. It was overgrown with plants and it looked uncared for- but who was Aurora to judge house conditions?
She hadn't been to her drug-filled home for months.

"Do you know what this looks like?" JJ asked rhetorically, as they walked closer to the house, "Whoever lives here smokes too much weed."

Suddenly, from the distance, glass smashed and shouts came from inside of the house. Aurora immediately grabbed her brother's wrist, and they both gave each other the looks.

"Bullshit!" A man's voice bellowed from inside, as more smashing sounds grew louder.

"Maybe we should come back." JJ suggested, trying to keep his fear hidden. However, even if John B wasn't aware of JJ's panic, Rory could see right through him.

John B continued to walk, "No, no, shut up. Shut up, JJ."

"Tell me where it is or ill fuck you up!" Another shout came from inside the house, as John B walked slower, "I'll sink you in the fucking-"

A loud thud came from the house, followed by glass smashing. Aurora winced, shutting her eyes tightly for a second and taking a long deep breath. The boys flinched too, as a scream echoed through the air.

"I.. I can't- John B we need to go." Aurora stuttered, which was a common anxiety trait of hers, "It's-It's dangerous."

Another yell came from inside, "Where the fuck is it you bitch?!"

Ms Lana (Aurora presumed)sobbed, "I don't know!"

John B pulled JJ and Aurora down with him, as they squished themselves against the wall. They sat on the floor, listening to the smash of glass and loud thuds. The wooden walls of the house were shaking, vibrating against Aurora's head.

"It wasn't in the boat!" The man shouted again, "Where is it, Lana?!"

"You still think we should stay?" JJ questioned, a hint of sarcasm in his voice despite the utter fear he was feeling. He motioned for John B to look at Aurora, who had her eyes shut tightly, gripping onto her knees as she curled herself up in a ball.

Of course, John B felt terrible for the traumatised twins. However, it was his dead fathers compass- how could he just give up now? Something was definitely going on and he needed to find out. Ms Lana was in trouble, and John B heroic instincts were taking control.

As the walls shook, bits of white paint from the window frames flicked off onto the trio. Of course, JJ freaked out and frantically started ruffling his hair,

"Is that paint?"

"Yes, it's paint." John B whisper-yelled.

"We should go." JJ repeated, "He's got smuggler written all-"

"Shut up." John B whispered, as he peered around the corner of the house to see the two men storming out towards their boat.

"Dude, those were the guys who shot at us." JJ exclaimed in disbelief, "Shit."

John B ignored him, and when the two men had drove away, he made his way inside the house- JJ and Rory reluctantly following behind him.

"Ms Lana?" John B called out, as they looked around the destroyed house. It reminded Rory of the many times when their father lashed out.

They found Lana Grubbs sobbing in a doorway, her body curled up against the wall. Her eyes were red and puffy, and the things around her were broken. She flinched when John B placed a hand on her shoulder,

"Ms Lana."

"Dude, she's tweaking." JJ whispered, examining the women from afar.

John B questioned gently, "Do you need a Doctor? Let's call the sherif's department."

"No, no, no." Lana sobbed, "No cops, please."

"Mm, that's not good." JJ replied, as he promptly placed a hand on John B's shoulder, "Let's just go, Dude."

"You shouldn't be here." Lana sobbed, as she stared into Rory's tearful eyes.

Aurora took a shaky breath before trying to get her words out, "Tha-That's enough, Bo-Booker. We sh...sh."

"We should go." JJ finished his sister's sentence for her, knowing how she simply cannot speak in these situations. Aurora thought it was ironic- normally, she was the chattiest person you'd ever meet. Yet, one simple trigger can set her off.

"Just wait." John B insisted, then turned to Lana, "What do you know about these guys?"

Lana's voice broke, "They were looking for something."

John B shoved his hands in his pockets and revealed the compass to her, "Does it have anything to do with this? Why was it on Scooter's boat when it belonged to my fathers?"

Lana's face dropped when she saw the bronze compass. She broke down again in panic, "Scooter didn't have it, okay? Don't tell anyone that you have that. They can't know that you have that! Go! Get out!"

Aurora ran her shaking hands through her blonde hair, as JJ pulled John B up and out of the house.