34: Girls Are Confusing

SHE MISSED Sarah Cameron. She missed the way she'd make her laugh. She missed their petty arguments. But most of all, she missed feeling the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach whenever she was near. Aurora missed being loved, by someone other than her brother. Rory secretly wished for Sarah not to love John B, even though it was inevitably going to happen. John had major feelings for Sarah, and Aurora hoped Sarah didn't feel the same way about him.

Early the next morning, the four Pogues had set out to find the murder weapon. They all gathered around the sewage opening,

"This is the north drain." Rory explained, "It should've gotten washed into the gully. So if it got pushed out of here, it should be somewhere in this trash."

"Oh my God." Kiara sighed deeply, as she looked at the surroundings of trash in the water, "People who use plastic should be shot."

JJ replied, "Personally, I love plastic. I use it everyday. Love the stuff."

"Hopefully, you recycle it and done let it flush into the ocean." Kie huffed.

"I thought you'd say something like that, so... trash bags." Pope smiled, as he revealed the trash bags he'd stuffed into his pocket.

Kiara smirked, "Did you just proactively protect the environment?"

Rory looked between Kie and Pope, as they both tried to hide the smiles on their faces, "Do you want us to leave you two alone, or- ow!"

Unexpectedly, Pope had chucked the roll of trash bags at Rory's stomach. He continued to hide his smile, as Pope sighed, "Just pick up the trash."

After a while of putting the trash in the black bags, the Pogues had realised the gun wasn't in the water. JJ wiped the sweat from his forehead,

"Well, that was fun." He said sarcastically.

Pope explained, "If it's not in the trash then it's gotta be in the storm drain."

"So, are we gonna do rock, paper, scissors? Or alphabetically? Or oldest goes?" Kiara suggested ideas.

"In the sewer, there's this work that you can get when you're down there." JJ explained, "It gets into your blood, and then it has to come out of your pecker. So, uh, that would be a hard pass for me."

Pope nodded, "Yeah. It's gonna be a no from me."

"Seriously?" Rory scoffed, rolling her eyes. She turned to Kie, "I'll go."

"No, I will." Kiara nodded reassuringly, "The boys are obviously scared so that leaves it to us."

JJ defended, "I'm not scared."

"You so are." Rory chuckled, as they watched Kie crawl into the sewer, "Yell if you need anything, Kie."

"Roger that." Kiara replied, her voice echoing from inside.

JJ stood up from crouching, as he looked at Pope, "Alright, bro, I see you vibing on Kie, okay? Give me the details. Are we talking first base, second base, third base?"

"Not even in the same ballpark." Pope huffed, "Its like we're not playing the same game. Like, the other night, she was all over me. And... but she was wasted, so it doesn't really count." He paused, "I tried to be edgy, out-there Pope, and she didn't like that. So I tried to be straight-laced Pope, and she didn't like that either. So, I don't know what to do!"

"Pope, think. I know you can do that, alright?" JJ calmed the boy down, then glanced at his sister, who was crouching down and looking into the sewer, "Put on some candles, or something. All girls like candles, right Rory?"

"Not necessarily." Rory shrugged, "You need to talk to Kie and find out what she likes."

Pope sighed, "Girls are confusing-"

"Guys! I think I found something." Kiara's voice echoed from the sewer, as the three Pogues crouched down to look into the darkness.

JJ called, "Wait, you got it? Oh my God!"

"Is it the gun?" Pope questioned.

Unexpectedly, Kie started shouting, "You guys! There's something dead in here!"

"Fuck. Like a person?" Rory shouted back to her, "Kie?"

"Guys! I repeat, there's something dead in here!" Kie panicked, as she continued to scream, "You guys owe me for life!"

"What if Ward put Gavin in the sewer?" JJ questioned worriedly, "Like, do you think-"

"Wait, wait, wait." Rory shushed him, as she leant her ear closer to the sewer, "Do you hear that?"

"Shit! Guys!" Kiara shouted, "The water!"

Pope shouted, "Kiara, get out of there now!"

"I don't have enough time!" Kiara shouted, as the rushing sound of water got louder and louder, "Shit! Oh no!"

Kie paused, before attempting to crawl inside of the sewer. Her brother grabbed her arm, "What are you doing?"

"Getting Kie." Rory replied, "JJ, let go-"

Suddenly, water rushed out of the sewer, forcefully pushing the three backwards as they held onto the railings. The water dragging Rory underneath the surface, as JJ held her wrist tightly to keep her from being pushed away by the water.

JJ shouted, "Do you think there's a manhole?"

"Y-Yeah!" Pope panted, as they all made their way across the railings and to the land. Without hesitation, Pope sprinted down the streets, looking for the drain that Kie was in. Rory coughed up the water she had inhaled, before following Pope and JJ.

"Guys help!" Kie's screams became louder as the three Pogues got closer to the drain in the road. Her fingers poked through the gaps, as the water rose higher, "The water! Guys, pull it! Pull!"

The three crouched down, wrapping her fingers around the bars of the drain and pulling. It had been screwed into the ground, so it wasn't budging. The three pulled again, as Kie struggled.

"Shit! Guys!" Kie panicked, "Hurry! Hurry!"

"Kie!" JJ panicked, "Shit!"

"I promise we're gonna get you out Kie!" Pope worried, as Aurora grabbed her dad's old pocket-knife to unscrew the drain.

Kiara's head submerged into the water, as her screams stopped. Rory's hands shook as she tried to unscrew the drain.

"Fuck!" Rory shouted frustratedly, as her shaking hands wouldn't cooperate.
Suddenly, the water rose above the drain as Kiara pushed the metal bars upwards. 

"Come on!" JJ yelled, as the metal finally came away from the drain opening. Rory grabbed Kiara's arm, helping her pull herself out.

"Are you okay?" Pope panted, as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

Kiara coughed, pushing Pope away, "Pope, get off me. Get off me!"

JJ questioned, "Kie, you good?"

"Never better." Kiara put her thumb up sarcastically, as she continued to cough. She reached into her back pocket, pulling out a gun, "This isn't what we were looking for, right?"

"No way." Pope panted happily, "Holy shit."

"You did it." Rory cheered, as JJ wrapped the gun in a piece of cloth, "We're gonna catch this son of a bitch!"