14: Midsummers

MIDSUMMERS WAS a party for rich assholes in a stupid club, who think they're too cool for anybody else. They're partying whilst, in the next block, people are starving hungry and not having enough money to pay for dinner. Aurora thought it was absolutely fucked up- especially when Kiara had her Kook Year and bailed on the Pogues, the party seemed way more personal then.

Managing to get clean for Midsummers was extremely difficult, so Aurora was quickly going through packs of cigarettes instead. The guilt was still there: Why did she relapse? People have it worse. She's so selfish for making it about her.

The Pogues had found out about Rory's relapse and, despite not saying anything, she could sense their worry.
She had been laying in bed in John B's Château all morning, despite her restlessness.

A knock came from the door as it slowly opened, "Hey, Rory. Can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure." Aurora replied, as she sat up in bed to see Kiara, who had two dresses rested in her arms, "What's that?"

"I'm glad you asked." Kie smiled, as she placed them both down on the bed, "This one is for me, my mom brought it for me. However, I went out last week with dad and he brought me this one." 

Aurora frowned, "I don't understand. If you have two dresses then why-"

Kie interrupted excitedly, "Because this one is for you."

Aurora smiled, then hesitated, "Kie, you know I can't wear a dress that your dad brought you."

"But it's your colour." Kie reasoned, making a sad pouty face sarcastically, "Please just try it on."

Aurora got dressed into the sparkly dark blue dress, as she adjusted the straps on her shoulders. It was fitted, yet floaty at the bottom. Rory stood frozen, looking at her unrecognisable self in the long mirror.

"Oh My God." Kie admired in awe, "You would make such a hot Kook."

Aurora scoffed with a chuckle, "Thanks, Kie." Rory took down a shoulder strap, ready to take it off, but Kie slapped her hand away,

"Now you have it on, you can't take it off." Kiara said, "It's the rules."

Aurora scoffed, "Kie, I can't just take a $600 dress from you for free."

"You can and you will." Kiara shot back happily, "You can pay me back by being there."

"Kie-"

"Nope." Kie interrupted, as she quickly left the room. She called from the hallway, "And we're going to mine soon so my mom can do our hair- she insisted on it. So be ready!"

***

"I haven't seen you in a while, Aurora." Mrs Carrera exclaimed, "How've you been?"

Aurora lied, "Uh, yeah good, thanks ma'am."

"This is disgusting." Kiara judged herself in the mirror.

"I know, it's just horrible." Mrs Carrera said sarcastically, as she did Aurora's hair in a bun, "I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party."

"I look like a bourgeoisie pig." Kiara shot back, as she looked at herself in the mirror.

Mrs Carrera scoffed, "Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for just one night?"