20: Cash For Gold

BEING A Kook-in-Progress was rather boring to Rory, she just wanted the millionaires mansion on Figure 8. The thought of being technically rich left the girl starstruck. However, the Gold needed to be pawned to receive the money, so Kiara melted it down with a blowtorch. 

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr Frankenstein." JJ remarked sarcastically, as everyone got out of the Van.

Rory judged the block of gold, which was no longer a block but a dodgy circle, "Yeah, it's a piece of shit."

"Like you could've done any better." Kiara shot back sarcastically, "You-"

"I could've done better." JJ interrupted, "I took a welding class."

"A blind person could've done a better job." Rory added sarcastically, "Seriously-"

John B interrupted calmly, "Hey, chill out. Come on."

"Easy for you to say." JJ scoffed, "You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off."

Rory nodded, "How'd we even get this job anyway?"

"Because you're the best liars." Pope deadpanned, as the group made their way into the pawn store.

It was true, the twins were excellent at lying. Thanks to Luke, the siblings had gotten away with all sorts of illegal things- they just blamed everything on him, then everybody felt bad for them. Manipulating became a habit, but who could blame them?

JJ opened the store door, and the group dispersed- pretending to look at objects around the shop, "Afternoon, ma'am. I see you buy gold."

The women sassed, "That's what the sign say, don't it?"

"Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it because I'm about to blow your mind." JJ smirked, as he unwrapped the gold which was covered in cloth.

The lady raised her eyebrows, "I ain't
got much mind left to blow, so have it."

"Real life gold." Rory nodded, as JJ placed the gold on the counter.

The women scoffed, "That ain't real. It's spray-painted tungsten."

"Just feel how heavy it is." JJ reasoned, "Shine some light on that."

As instructed, the women did all kinds of tests of the block of gold- which was now a dodgy circle due to Kie's melting skills. The lady's eyes widened when it didn't react to the acid she poured on it,

"Well, it ain't plated, and it ain't painted." She frowned, "It looked like somebody tried to melt it down."

"Our mom." Rory explained, "She had all this jewellery laying around the house, and she thought it was best to melt it down. To consolidate it."

The cashier weighed it, "7 pounds? That's a lot of earrings."

JJ cleared his throat, "I'm gonna be honest with you, ma'am. It's really hard to see our mom fall apart with Alzheimers."

Alzheimers? Rory stopped herself from slapping her brother, before sighing deeply, "We just need the money, ma'am, we haven't had a proper meal in days."

"Weeks." JJ corrected, as he wiped a fake tear from his cheek, "Our dad...he-"

"Okay, okay. Give me a minute." The women interrupted, as her facial expressions softened and she walked into the back rooms.

Rory nodded, pretending to wipe a tear, and as soon as she closed the door, the girl turned to her brother, "Alzheimers? Are you stupid, JJ?"

"She believed it!" JJ whisper-yelled, "You always gotta have a sob story."