53: Marry Rich

RORY STILL couldn't believe that Sarah had kissed her. A part of her thought she had been dreaming. It was better than she remembered- it was probably because they were older now. However, the moment didn't last as long as Rory hoped it would, as the girls had to walk back to Sarah's house to retrieve Pope's cross. She wished she could tell Kiara what had happened, but due to her being on house-arrest, it probably wasn't the best time.

Rory rushed up to JJ, embracing him in a tight hug, "I'm clean, JJ. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about what dad did. I'm sorry-"

"It's okay." JJ replied softly, yet Rory could sense he was still angry at his father for giving his sister drugs. Aurora hugged Pope and JB, before running up to the fence to peer over.

"He's got the truck." John B informed quietly, "Stay low, stay low."

They watched as Rafe parked the massive truck outside his mansion, before Pope spoke, "How much do you wanna get Rafe has the cross inside that truck right now?"

Sarah sighed, before turning to walk away, "There's only one way to find out."

"Wait- Hey, Sarah!" Rory whisper-yelled, as she rushed after her, "Don't go, please. Stay."

"I need to, Rory, for Pope." Sarah reassured, as their foreheads touched, "Stay here, okay? I'll be back before you know it. I love you."

Aurora turned back to the boys, who all shared the same shocked expression on their faces. Their eyes widened, as their mouths dropped to the floor.

Pope blinked, "Whoa, what was that?"

"Wait, wait, wait." JJ processed what he had just seen, before turning to his friends, "Did y'all see what I just saw?"

"Uh, yeah." John B replied in shock, "Wait, are you two together?"

Rory hesitated, feeling bad for JB,"Uh... well, uh, yeah."

JJ jumped in excitement, punching the air, "Oh my God! I mean, they do say marry rich, right?"

"Shut up." Rory chuckled, flipping him off, as she peered over the wall to Sarah, who was waving her arms confusedly.

"I'm going inside." Sarah mouthed, "I'll be 10 minutes!"

"Huh?" JJ squinted, "Can any of y'all lip-read?"

John B deadpanned, "Nope."

"What?" Rory whisper-yelled, making exaggerated arm movements.

"I'm... going... inside!" Sarah mouthed exaggeratedly, as she frantically pointed towards the doors.

The Pogues finally realised what she had been trying to say, and broke out into whispers of discussion. Pope whisper-yelled, "Don't go inside!"

Rory suggested quickly, "Do the birdcall!"

"Ca-caw! Ca-caw!" John B imitated poorly, as the group turned to him slowly in disappointment.

"What bird even are you?" Rory questioned in confusion.

Pope added stressfully, "That's not what a bird sounds like!"

"Was that a dying chicken?" JJ asked JB sarcastically.

"It's not a call." Pope correctly smartly, "It's a whistle!"

Rory pointed to Sarah, who was walking inside, she whisper-yelled, "It's too late now, she's already gone!"

John B attempted to jump the fence, "I'm going over-"

Unexpectedly, a golf-buggy parked next to the group, who were half way up the fence, beeping its horn. An old man stepped out, "Excuse me. Can I help ya?" He clocked his gun, "I got double-aught bucks in this thing, so uh, I can't miss."

"He has a fucking shot gun." Aurora whispered, as she jumped down off of the wall. She cleared her throat, "I'm sorry, sir, this is not how it seems."

The man scoffed, "You guys are on the wrong side of the island. Now, kneel. I'm gonna call the police."

The group knelt, raising their hands in surrender. JJ spoke, "You don't have to do that, sir."

The man replied, "I'll decide for myself what I need to do."

"Please, sir, let me explain." Rory spoke up, "Sir, I know you think we're just some derelict kids from the Cut, but we weren't that to Mr Cameron. We're his yard workers, sir."

JJ slowly stood up, going along with the lie, "We were waiting for our yard associate, Tommy, to get back from planting a row of flowers for Mr Cameron's memorial."

"We want to, uh, pay our respects to Mr Cameron." Rory wiped the fake tears from her cheeks, "Is that okay, sir?"

"You smell that, right?" JJ questioned, "The flowers we planted?"

"What is that, night-blooming Jasmine?" The man asked curiously.

JJ replied, "No, that's, uh.. more like, uh.. um-"

"Sorry, sir, my brother is just takin' the passing of Mr Cameron very very hardly. As you can see." Rory interrupted, as JJ pretended to sob in her arms, "The smell is Natural Viagra, sir-"

"We better get going." Pope spoke up, "Tommy's gonna be here soon and we still need a lot of flowers to plant."

John B nodded, "We'll be quiet, alright? I'm sorry to bother you."

The Pogues watched the man drive off, before JJ let go of Rory and jumped over the fence, followed by everyone else. The group hid in the bushes, as they watched Rafe drive away in the truck.

"They've got my cross." Pope whispered angrily, as he stood up slowly.

"Pope." Rory warned worriedly, "Don't- Pope!"

Suddenly, Pope started sprinting after the truck and climbed onto the back of it. The three watched in shock, as Pope held onto the back doors of the moving vehicle. However, their attention was drawn away from the truck when the back doors opened; three people walking outside.

"Sarah." Rory whispered, as she watched Rose and Wheezie carry Sarah's limp body to the car. Suddenly, Aurora sprinted over to the moving car before pounding of the windows, "Sarah! Sarah! Wake up!"

JJ joined in, "Wheezie! Let us in!"

"Wheezie, unlock the doors!" John B shouted, as his legs tripped beneath him causing him to fall over.

"Fuck!" Rory shouted, before running over to JB to help him stand up with JJ. The three ran to the Twinkie, Aurora lacking behind, before driving after Rose.

Aurora grabbed her phone from her pocket with her shaking hands, before calling Kie, who was still under house-arrest, "Kie! Pick up. Please pick up-"

"Hello?" Kiara answered, "If this is about Pope, then I'm already sneaking out-"

Rory blurted out, "They have Sarah!... Wait, what happened to Pope?"

"Something about him being in trouble." Kiara explained, "He's at the swamp past Angel Oak. Is Sarah okay?"

"W-We don't know. She looked drugged." Rory replied worriedly, "It's fine, you go to Pope. He needs you."

"Okay, I'll see you soon." Kie reassured, "Breathe, Rory, it's gonna be okay. I love you."

"I love you." Rory exhaled, before hanging up and, all a sudden, a wave of realisation drowned the girl as her chest grew tighter- She didn't say I love you back to her girlfriend.