21: Kill Or Be Killed

[mentions of drugs]

RORY SUFFOCATED in the awkward silence of the car journey to Barry's house. The occasional look between the Pogues pained her the most, as they didn't know how angry JJ was feeling. They didn't know like Aurora did- she understood her brother's every decision, despite how stupid they may seem.

"This will only take a second." JJ announced, as he parked the Van outside of his house, before walking towards it.

John B frowned, "Where are you going?"

"Yo soy justicia." JJ called back.

Kiara sighed, "You know someone should probably-"

Rory interrupted Kie by stepping out of the van, before getting stopped by Sarah, who gave her a sympathetic look,

"You said he's your dealer, I don't think you should be going in there, you know?"

"I'm clean, Sarah." Rory huffed, before continuing to walk "And he's my brother, so I'm going."

Sarah was right. Even the look of Barry's house brought back unwanted memories and thoughts. Horrible thoughts. The thoughts that made Rory want to itch of her own skin- it was a familiar feeling to Rory.

"JJ?" Rory took a shaky breath, as she watched her brother rummage through cupboards, "I understand you're angry-"

JJ interrupted, "As thou hath stealeth from us, we shall stealeth from ye."

Rory sighed, "What? JJ, you're not making any sense."

"An eye for an eye, Rory." JJ explained, as he continued to rummage through Barry's room.

Barry's room flooded Rory with memories she didn't want to remember- like their first drug deal. The itching sensation was so strong that Aurora couldn't focus. She couldn't relapse again, no matter how much she wanted to feel the euphoric feeling of cocaine.

Aurora itched the skin on her arms before blurting out, "Barry's a good guy. He may not have seemed like it then, but he is. He cares about me-"

"Cares about you so much that he put a gun to your chest?" JJ scoffed sarcastically, as he tipped money out onto the bed, "I hate to break it to you but you need new friends."

"JJ he doesn't give me drugs anymore, okay?" Aurora explained, "He stopped when I first overdosed-"

Unexpectedly, John B appeared in the doorway, "What's your plan, slick? You can't just steal from a drug dealer, man."

JJ tried to walk out of the room, but John B stopped him, "What happens when you rob a drug dealer, huh? He knows who we are!"

JJ glared at the boy, "We're getting even."

John B shook his head, "Listen to me. If you keep going down this road, you're gonna end up just like your dad-"

JJ grabbed the collar of his shirt, "You watch your mouth, man. Aren't you tired of being messed with?"

"That's not the point, JJ."

Whilst the boys were arguing, Aurora's gaze moved to Barry's messy bed. The things that JJ had tipped out of the bag were laying on the bed: money, drinks, and little orange bottles of oxy. Aurora shook her head at the thought of it, fighting the urges not to slip the bottle into her pocket.

Nobody would notice, she thought, They're too busy fighting.

Aurora blinked tightly, trying to shut the thoughts away, as she began to sweat. She couldn't relapse or everybody would treat her differently again, and JJ would have to babysit her 24/7 to make sure she's safe. She couldn't put her brother, or friends, through seeing her in that state again.

Nobody would notice.
She found herself edging towards the plastic bag that the orange bottles were contained in.
Nobody would notice-

"Hey." The voice of John B brought her back to reality, "What're you doing? You coming?"

She rubbed her eyes with her hands, "Y-Yeah, I was just..." She noticed JJ's absence in the room, "Where's JJ?"

Followed by John B and Rory, JJ made his way to the van, "Alright, so we're looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit."

"So that's what we're doing now?" Kiara questioned, "We're robbing drug dealers?"

"This Barry guy is gonna find out." Sarah added, "And he's gonna come after us."

"Yes, he will." Pope agreed, "This is not the time to start wilin' out."

"How'd you like havin' a gun pulled on you?" JJ retorted.

John B walked up to him, trying to come him down, "Relax."

JJ tapped John's forehead, "He had it right here on you, bro."

"Look, we've gotta go get the gold, okay?" John B reminded, "Just give me that shit, we're putting it back."

As John B grabbed the bag of money, JJ shoved him against the van. John B scoffed, "You feel like a tough guy? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?"

"We punch him in the throat." JJ said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, good fucking idea, JJ." John B snapped.

Aurora took a shaky breath, itching at the skin on his arm. She blurted out, "C-Can we stop with the bullshit? Seriously, it's getting boring."

JJ climbed into the van and sat down, followed by Rory, then he realised nobody else was joining them. JJ hesitated, before getting back out of the van,

"What?"

John B deadpanned, "We're sick of your shit."

"Oh, my shit." JJ replied sarcastically.

Kiara nodded, "Yes, you're pulling guns on people shit."

Pope added, "You're acting like a frickin' maniac-"

"Pope, I took the fall for you, man!" JJ interrupted, raising his voice, "Do you know how much money I owe because of you?"

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I didn't ask you to do that!" Pope shouted.

"I just did!" JJ argued, "I payed it back. Right here, right now, by myself." He paused, "You know what? That's exactly what I'm going to do. Go off by myself."

Pope's facial expressions softened, as his features filled with hurt, "JJ..."

"Hey, wait, man." John B softly stopped Pope, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Aurora scoffed at her friend's reactions, yet she understood why they weren't following her manic brother. They didn't grow up in the Maybank Household, so they would never understand what it was like. It was a 'Kill or be killed' situation.

"Stay here, Rory." John B insisted.

"Or what, John B?" Aurora turned to face him, "He's my brother and all of his friends don't care."

"We do care." Kiara corrected, "We just can't have you..."

Aurora knew whatever she was going to say was about relapsing. She rolled her eyes, "You're making my whole personality about my past, do you know how screwed up that is?"

"Don't blame her." Sarah blurted out softly, "I told them that they should keep an eye on you."

Rory scoffed, "And why the fuck would you do that?"

"I know what it's like, I've seen it." Sarah tried to explain, "My brother is the same-"

"Don't compare me to Rafe." Aurora said through gritted teeth, "You don't have a clue-"

"Your arm!" Sarah interrupted, "You've been fidgeting ever since we got here, Rory. I'm not stupid. I notice and I understand."

Deep down, Rory was grateful for Sarah. I notice, was the phrase that was lingering in the back of her mind. Aurora appreciated Sarah, yet now she was filled with rage she couldn't control what she said.

Aurora covered her arm cautiously, which was covered with scabs, before quickly walking away to catch up with JJ.