33: Ticking Time Bomb

THE POGUES spied on Ward and Gavin on a roof top opposite the construction site, as it poured down with rain. Pope watched them through a camera, which could record things from afar. Aurora didn't question where he got it from, all she cared about was taking down Ward.

"Nice camera." JJ complimented, "Where'd you dig up that relic?"

Kie asked, "Why don't you just use your phone?"

Pope explained, "Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics. Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away."

"Lord of the Dorks." Kie chuckled, who shared a smile with Aurora.

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass." Pope continued.

"There he is." JJ pointed, as they watched Ward run into the construction site to meet with Gavin.
"You rolling, Pope?" 

"Are you getting it?" Kie added.

Pope nodded, "Yeah, i see them." He paused, watching the scene unfold, "Gavin doesn't look happy about something. It looks like he's yelling at Ward. Shit-"

"Whoa, whoa." JJ interrupted, watching the two figures in the distance fight each other.

"What's going on?" Kiara questioned, wiping her eyes from the rain.

Pope commentated, "Ward's kicking the shit out of Gavin. Holy shit! Ward's got a gun."

"It's the murder weapon." Aurora agreed, watching the fight intensively.

BANG!!

"Holy fuck!" Aurora panicked, as JJ dragged her down so she couldn't be seen.

"Oh my God." Kiara gasped, covering her mouth in shock.

"What the hell?" JJ panted, "Pope, tell me you just recorded that."

Pope nodded, as he cautiously went back to recording, "Enough to put this asshole away for life." 

The Pogues watched as Ward stressed over Gavin's lifeless body. The rain washed away the gun he was holding, so it dropped off the construction site and got carried away by the rain water.

"I think we should go." JJ suggested, "Pope, you have enough footage, right?"

"Yeah, let's go." Pope nodded, as he ended the recording.

Kiara's posture adjusted, as she yelled out to Ward, who was searching for the gun in the street, "What is wrong with you! Murderer! Murder-"

JJ covered her mouth, pulling her down, "Get down! Get down."

"Are you crazy?" Pope stressed.

Aurora watched as Ward headed towards the building the Pogues were on, "Guys. Guys! He fucking saw us."

"Go! Go!" JJ stressed, as the group made their way down the rooftop.

Aurora climbed down the ladder first, followed by Pope, then JJ and Kie. Kiara accidentally stepped on JJ's hand, causing him to let go and fall onto Pope as they both fell down the short fall.

"Sorry! So sorry." Kiara apologised, as she climbed down the ladder.

Aurora watched the camera break into pieces, her eyes widened. She thought things couldn't get any worse, "Shit! You fucked it, JJ!"

"She stepped on my hand!" JJ argued.

Pope added, "And you kicked me in the face!"

"I was trying to hurry!" Kiara reasoned.

The Pogues ran back to Kie's car in the pouring rain, sitting in silence for a moment as they processed what just happened.

"Can someone fill me in on what the fuck just happened?" JJ raised his voice, "Holy crap, I can't believe it. Wait, wait. What were they fighting over?"

"Uh, it was a gun, the one Rafe used. He must've kept it." Pope explained.

Aurora looked at Kie, who was tapping her phone quickly, "Who are you calling?"

"Who do you think?" Kie cried shakily.

"The Cops?!" Rory questioned in shock, "Why would you call the cops?"

Kie questioned, "Who else am I suppose to call?" The police picked up the phone, "Hello? Hi, somebodies been shot! At the... at the Grand Construction site! You guys need to hurry because he's dying. I don't know if he's already dead or not!"

After a while, the police had arrived. The Pogues took Shoupe up to where it happened, trying to explain to him as he took notes.

"Look, it was right here." Kie explained, "And this is where that maniac claimed his next victim. Right there."

"Uh-huh." Shoupe questioned, "His next victim? How long ago did you say this happened?"

"45 minutes ago, Shoupe." JJ replied, as he bent down and touched the floor, trying to look for any signs of blood but it had all got washed away by the rain.

"Okay." Shoupe said, "And so, Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him. Execution style? And then, cleaned it all up in five minutes?"

"Yeah." Rory replied, "And-And the rain could've washed it away."

"We filmed the entire thing." Kiara agreed, "But we can't show it to you because I stepped on JJ's hand, and then he kicked Pope, then Pope dropped the camera, and Rory yelled at us all."

Shoupe scoffed, "So, the dog ate your homework?"

Rory tried to speak, "Shoupe, I know-"

"I don't know what you kids expect me to do with this." Shoupe raised his voice, "You drag me out here in the middle of the night for a whole lot of nothing. Except from some crazy stories about how Ward Cameron's out on some crazy killing spree."

"We're not making this up." Pope explained, "Gavin was his pilot! He was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day."

Kiara nodded, "Gavin was blackmailing Ward because he had the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin."

"So, he called him up to pay him up. But it wasn't enough, and then he shot Gavin." JJ added, "With the murder weapon!"

Shoupe's face dropped, "How'd you know that?"

Kiara tried to explain, "Because Pope did this thing with his phone. He, like, put it in his car-"

"I heard their whole conversation." Pope explained.

"You wiretapped him?" Shoupe questioned accusingly, "Stop. Just stop. I've had enough."

Shoupe made his way out of the construction site, ignoring the calls from the Pogues behind him. They followed him outside, as they watched him call his deputies off.

"Why would we make this up?" Kiara questioned, "Please don't go home. Please don't leave."

"Of course he's leaving, Kie." Rory blurted out loudly, "Because he can't do his fucking job!"

"Hey!" Shoupe raised his voice, "I've had enough with your mouth. I know you're upset-"

"Upset?" Rory scoffed, as she stormed over to Shoupe, "You don't-"

"Whoa, whoa." JJ grabbed his sister quickly, pulling her away. He tried to control her, as she squirmed in his arms, "Rory. Rory! Stop!"

They watched as Shoupe drove away with his other Deputies, as Pope turned around, "We're not out of this yet. We can still get the murder weapon."

All of their eyes drifted to the drain.