13: I've Fucked Up

[mentions of relapse]

AURORA HELPED Heyward in his shop since she was 13. She did it as a favour to Heyward, and to earn a little bit of pocket money to buy cigarettes and food. Rory saw Heyward as her father-figure, he was always there to heal her and JJ's cuts and bruises.

"That'll be $3.50." Aurora said to a customer, "Thanks, ma'am."

Heyward walked in, causing Aurora to look up curiously, "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you."

Shoupe appeared behind Heyward,
"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Keep your hands on the counter where I can see them."

"Deny, deny, deny." JJ mouthed secretly.

"Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asked, "You're just arresting my boy?"

Aurora shared a worried look with Kiara, before turning to her next customer, "I'm sorry, just give me a second."

She stormed over to the gathering and walked closer to Shoupe, "What the fuck are you doing? Get off of him!"

"Hands where I can see 'em." Shoupe repeated, "Maybank, get out of my way."

"You're arresting him?" Kiara worried.

"Of course he is." Aurora scoffed angrily, "Because he's a pig!"
She spat on his shiny black shoes, as Kie held her arm.

"Enough!" Shoupe snapped at Aurora, as she glared.

JJ stressed, "What's the proof?"

"Be careful!" Kiara worried, "Are you even listening?"

"Everything you say and do will be held against you in the court of law." Shoupe continued as he cuffed Pope, "You have the right to an attorney."

"How much did they pay you, man?" JJ asked Shoupe, as they followed him outside.

"Take a step back from the vehicle." Shoupe raised his voice at the kids.

"Why are you taking him?" Kiara worried, "He didn't do anything!"

"You can't just take my boy!" Heyward argued.

"It wasn't him!" JJ blurted out, "It was me! He tried to talk me out of it, but I was man because he'd just been beaten up. I can't let you take the blame for something I did."

Pope frowned, "JJ, what are you doing?"

"I'm tellin' the truth." JJ replied, "I took his old man's boat, too."

"What the hell?" Heyward questioned.

"JJ, come on-"

"Shut up, Pope!" JJ interrupted, as he turned to Shoupe, "He's a good kid. You know where I'm from. This was all me."

Aurora's eyes burned with tears as she felt a lump form at the back of her throat, "JJ."

"It's okay." He reassured, before Shoupe shoved his head into the car.

"Be careful, asshole!" Aurora yelled at Shoupe uncontrollably, "Fuck, man."

As the car pulled away, Pope threw his cap down onto the gravel, before storming inside and ignoring his father's calls.

"Rory." Kiara spoke softly, "Rory, come here. Rory, please don't."

Ignoring her friend, Aurora started sprinting after the police car. Despite her unhealthy lungs, she promised herself she wouldn't stop running.
JJ looked out of the back window, shaking his head slightly at her.