40: Sarah Or Rafe

THE GUILT came flooding back in the next morning of Aurora's relapse- like it always did. The constant shame drowned out the world around her. She was on edge, trying to act as clean as she could, especially now Sarah knew. Rory hoped Sarah hadn't told her brother, JJ already had so much to deal with- Rory didn't want to add to his list of worries.

The Pogues reunited in a quiet area of the Cut, where the Kooks couldn't find them. Now that Rafe knew JB and Sarah were alive, it wouldn't be long until the whole island knew.

Kiara explained, "Look, if Rafe and Barry know, it's only a matter of time-"

"I told you." JJ scoffed in frustration, "We should've gone South, man. Why does no one ever listen!"

"I get it. I get it. I understand." John B calmed him down, "I get it."

"I have an idea." Sarah joined in, "With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe."

A unusual silence filled the atmosphere, as the Pogues all shared the same concerned look. Rory shook her head, "No, Sarah-"

"He's gonna choose me." Sarah interrupted sternly, staring at Aurora with hatred from the argument last night, which everybody noticed. The Pogues decided not to say anything.

After kissing John B, Sarah left to meet up with her dad, leaving the Pogues alone for a couple of hours. Rory sat on the grass up against a tree, uncontrollably pulling at her raw skin on her arm.

"Hey." John B caught her attention, as he plonked himself down next to Rory. He looked at her arm, which was red raw, but stopped himself from saying anything. He took a breath, "I'm sorry about all this, I know it must be awkward for you... You know, with Sarah and you-"

"I don't care." Rory shrugged, as she covered her arm with her hand, aware that JB would most certainly tell JJ. Rory looked down at the grass, as she picked it out from the ground, "You can't help who you fall in love with, John B."

"Right." The boy sighed in relief, almost thankful that the two had no problems between them, "I just didn't want there to be anything between us because of Sarah, you know?"

"I know." Aurora replied, her voice braking slightly as she stared at the grass.

"Are you okay?" John asked curiously, gently nudging the girls upper arm with a smirk, "You just seem quiet lately."

"I'm just tired. I still can't believe you're alive." Rory replied, as John B wrapped his arm around her and pecked her on the cheek.

Aurora wanted to hate John B, but she couldn't bring herself too. No matter what JB did, Rory would always love him like a brother. It wasn't his fault he fell in love with Sarah, he couldn't help it. And Rory couldn't help it either.

A few hours had past, which felt like years to Aurora since the drugs were wearing off. JJ and Kie rushed back from the forest with handfuls of fire wood, just in time for Sarah's arrival. Rory stood up, exhaling smoke from her joint of weed she had previously made to make the time go faster,

"How'd it go?" She called out to the boat, which Sarah climbed out of. Her eyes were red and puffy, everybody could tell she had been crying.

"Sarah!" Kie waved, running up to the boat, "Any luck?"

"You guys were right." Sarah replied shakily, "It didn't work. Sorry."

"Well, that settles it, guys." JJ exclaimed, "Now, y'all need to load up in the paddy wagon and get the hell out of here."

"Right, you guys will need supplies and you'll have to split as soon as possible." Pope added, as everybody's gaze turned to the sound of wailing sirens in the distance.

Kie shook her head in disbelief, as they watched three police boats arrive at the shore, "Guys, I think it's too late."

"They followed you here?" John B worried, "It must've been Ward."

"Motherfucker!" Rory spat, chucking her joint into the sand with frustration and squishing the events of illegality.

"Stay on the beach with your hands in the air!" A police man shouted through the megaphone, as they climbed out from their boats.

Disobeying their orders, the Pogues started running into the forest towards the mainland, trying to get rid of the Armed Cops. Sarah straggled behind with Aurora, which was strange as she would normally be in the front with JJ. Rory caught a glimpse of her face as she winced- she was hurt. Aurora coughed through her wheezing chest, trying to keep up and breath at the same time- a familiar sense of regret washed over her about smoking since the age of 13.

John B grabbed Sarah, pulling her along beside him as she clung to his body in pain. Aurora wondered what was wrong with her, why didn't Sarah tell her she was hurting? JJ snapped Rory out of her trance by practically dragging her through the lake to get to the other side. It wasn't deep, thankfully, so Aurora ran against the thick water. The Pogues all gathered close together, hiding behind a large tree from the Police.

"There's no getting out of it." JJ whisper yelled, pacing back and forward, "We gotta make a stand."

"And how would you suggest that?" Rory panted, "They're-They're armed!"

"So am I." JJ replied, pulling the gun from his back pocket and loading it. John B spotted the manic boy, before rushing over to him. He grabbed JJ's hand, looking at him with an it's okay expression. JJ had no choice but to drop the gun, before he buried it under the brown leaves.

"It's gonna be alright." John B whispered with a slight smile through his tears, as a Police Car pulled up behind them.

"John B!" Shoupe shouted from a few meters away, aiming his gun right at the innocent boy, "Step out of the clearing! Get down, do not move!"

"Don't move!" Thomas shouted, "Hands up, John!"

"The rest of you don't move!" Plumb insisted, as the Pogues raised their hands in surrender- except for Rory, who's vision got blurred by her tears and the same high-pitch nose buzzed in her ears. The world almost moved in slow-motion, leaving the girl wondering if this was actually happening or just a side effect from the drugs she'd been taking.

"Put your hands in the air!" Shoupe's voice shouted, though it was muffled to Aurora, "Maybank, put your hands where I can see them!"

"Listen, Shoupe, I wanna testify!" John B defended, stepping away from his friends to sacrifice himself.

"Rory. Rory, look at me." Kie insisted through cries, as her voice snapped the girl back into reality, "Rory!"

"It's about time." Shoupe replied to John B, as Thomas stormed his way over to the boy, who was kneeling in amongst the leaves. Unexpectedly, Thomas grabbed JB by the shoulders before slamming him into the ground, kicking him repeatedly.

"No!" Pope shouted, before behind held back by a Cop, "What are you doing!"

"Stop!" Sarah cried loudly, "Stop!"

"What is that, Sheriff?" JJ yelled in anger, fighting the urge not to defend JB, "You gonna let that happen! Get off of him!"

"Fucking let him go!" Aurora screamed, "Don't touch him-"

"Don't move!" Plumb shouted, aiming her gun towards the brother and sister, both feeling useless for not being able to defend JB.

Thomas pushed Shoupe off of him, before pulling John up by his t-shirt, "This is for Peterkin."

His fist collided with the boys face, knocking him out onto the floor and leaving the Pogues in sobs and fits of rage.