51: A Second Chance

[trigger warning: drug mentions]

THE POGUES used the Twinkie to drive back home, as Kie's truck was still on the side of an empty road. However, when JB drove back the way they came, they all noticed a familiar blue flashing lights surrounding the scene. JJ put his cap on, so it covered it his, whilst Rory climbed over the front seat to hide in the back.

Kiara covered Rory's body with her jacket, "Shit, they found the truck."

Pope attempted to reassure the distressed group, "Chill, chill, chill."

"Well, look who we have here." Sheriff Shoupe made his way to the Twinkie, shining his torch inside.

John B greeted, "Good evening, Officer-"

"Sheriff." Shoupe corrected, "Yeah."

"Speeding kills, huh?" John B questioned awkwardly.

"I pulled the tags, and I know who's truck that is." Shoupe stated disappointedly, as he shone the torch in the backseats.

"Sheriff, I just wanna say that this is all my fault." Pope apologised, "Kiara had nothing to do with this. I take 100% responsibility."

"Nothing to do with it? Wanna try that again?" Sheriff scoffed, looking at Kie, "Your parents reported the truck missing four hours ago, and the keys were kissing from the house. I'm taking you home. Or I can pull you all in for leaving the scene of an accident."

Kie sighed, "Okay."

"Good." Shoupe nodded, before motioning his co-officer to retrieve her, "Plumb."

Plumb opened the side door, as Rory passed Kie her jacket, which also made the girl seen by Plumb. The women informed, "We also found a bottle of oxycodone in the back seats of the vehicle. So, we're probably gonna have to pull you all in for drug tests."

"What?" Kie questioned, as Rory felt all eyes on her.

"Unless, of course, the user owns up." The officer remarked, "Aurora, why don't you bring yourself in? You don't want your friends to go to the station because of you. Right?"

Rory defended, "I swear I wasn't using. They-They were... my dad gave them to me. I didn't take 'em. I swear, Plumb, on anything!"

Plumb shrugged, "I won't be able to let you go if I don't have any proof, Maybank."

"Please. Please don't do this." Rory pleaded, as she realised tears were streaming down her face. She looked at her brother, "I didn't take any of them. Please believe me, JJ. I didn't-"

"The bottle was unsealed." Plumb interrupted, "They had been opened."

"That wasn't fucking me!" Aurora yelled, as the Pogues just watched her. She picked at the skin on her arm, "Please, I can't go to the station, I wanna help my friends."

"You can help your friends by going to the station." Plumb replied calmly, which made Rory's blood boil. She sighed, "Follow me, Aurora, don't make this worse than it needs to be."

Rory rubbed her hands on her face, groaning through her gritted teeth, but she still didn't move. Her mind was racing with thoughts, as the girl had taken drugs a couple nights ago- could that be picked up by the test? She thought.

"Just go, Rory." JJ's shaky voice broke the silence, "Please, just do the right thing. If you didn't take them, you'll be back by the morning."

Rory wiped away her tears, before making her way out of the van. She didn't look at her brother, knowing that he was crying in the front seats because John B was comforting him.

"I'll go, too." Sarah blurted out, as she climbed out of the Twinkie, "It's not fair if she goes alone at night."

Shoupe nodded, "Okay, let's get the rest of you home."

The annoying thing was, Aurora hadn't actually taken the oxy that her father stupidly gave her. Of course, Plumb had to ruin everything. Sarah sat in Shoupe's police car with Rory, her eyes staring at the back of Rory's head as she looked out of the window. After the suffocating journey of the journey back to the station, Shoupe took Rory out the back to do a drug test- whilst Sarah sat nervously in the waiting room.

Rory prayed- that's all she could do. She prayed to the fucker out there who gave her this shitty life. Shoupe turned his back on the girl, as she felt the familiar cold toilet seat which brought back the many times she had to do this before. The situation reminded her of Peterkin, as she shut her eyes tightly to get rid of the thought of her blood on the girl's hands. Rory passed the cup to Shoupe, wiping the tears off of her cheeks. The man tested her urine, as Rory awkwardly stood next to him. He paused, reading the lines that showed up on the test.

He cleared his throat, "Looks like you're clean, Aurora. I'm glad you're staying off the drugs."

Rory didn't say anything, or even make a sarcastic remark. Instead, she walked outside to get Sarah, who's head snapped up in anxiety when Rory walked into the waiting room.

Sarah quickly stood up and followed her outside, "Rory, what happened? What were the results? Rory, come on, talk to me."

"It was clean." Rory sniffed, "I'm clean."

Sarah hugged her tightly, "I'm so proud of you!" She paused, letting go, "Wait, so why were you so scared to get tested?"

Rory was silent for a moment, tears refilling her eyes. She avoided eye contact, "Uh, well.."

"Rory." Sarah whispered, as a tear stained her cheek, "Please, talk to me."

Aurora sighed shakily, "I, uh, went to Barry's last night... after the Topper thing. But, I'm sorry. It was an accident. I'm planning to get better, please believe me because nobody else does. I'm so sorry."

"Hey." Sarah comforted, wiping the hair out of Rory's face, "I believe you. Everyone slips up, right? Relapse is normal. I believe in you, and I wanna help."

Rory's eyes dropped from Sarah's hazel eyes to her mouth uncontrollably, then she blurted out, "Uh, I'm sorry. That was weird of me."

"No, it wasn't." Sarah reassured, as she slowly held both of Rory's hands, "I mean it... I'm proud of you."

Rory couldn't help but smile, as she watched Sarah move closer to her. Aurora's heart raced as butterflies filled her stomach, yet she was unsure about what Sarah wanted as she made it clear she wanted to just be friends. Aurora's eyes traveled down to her lips again, then her eyes, then her lips. She was face-to-face with her once-sworn enemy. Maybe Sarah just felt bad for Rory, so wanted to make her happy? Maybe it was a dare? Maybe she just missed John B? Maybe... However, Rory's thoughts were silenced when, all of a sudden, Sarah kissed her.

Rory pulled away, though she didn't want to, knowing that Sarah wasn't out as bisexual, "What if people see us?"

"Let them." Sarah flirted, as she smiled up against Rory's lips. They kissed again- for much longer- as Rory felt a missing piece of her happiness return. She wrapped her arms around Rory's waist, as they both giggled.

Sarah smiled slightly, her eyes darting in-between Rory's lips and eyes, "Can you give me- give us another chance?"

"Is that even a question?" Rory grinned, cupping her hands on Sarah's face, "I never stopped loving you, Sarah Cameron."

a/n:
IT'S HAPPENING!!!
'second chance' trope is my favourite thing ever!!!!!!!