23: I Never Stopped Loving You

SHE COULDN'T stop JJ from getting drunk and spending all the restitution money, no matter how hard she tried. The boy was upset and needed something to make him happy- it was just a shame that it costed 25K. Instead of partying to hide her emotions, like her brother, Aurora just needed someone to talk to.

She wandered the streets of the Outer Banks, as her legs carried her to a familiar building. She hesitated before knocking the door, and waited a while for someone to answer. The door slowly opened, revealing the face that Rory had walked miles to see.

"Aurora?" Sarah questioned tiredly, as her eyes adjusted to the nighttime darkness, "What are you doing here?"

Rory's lip quivered, "I didn't know where else to go."

Sarah secretly brought her inside and upstairs to her bedroom. She turned on the light as she guided Aurora to her bed and shut her bedroom door. Rory leant up against the headboard, as Sarah rummaged through her closet to find some supplies.

"What is that?" Aurora asked, as Sarah sat down opposite her on the bed.

"Rubbing alcohol." Sarah tried to smile, but just looking at Rory's face pained her. She sighed, as she gently cleaned her cuts, "Did your dad do this?"

Aurora nodded, as Sarah sighed sympathetically. She took a breath, "I'm sorry for what happened at Barry's house. I shouldn't of-"

"Don't apologise." Aurora interrupted, her voice dry and hoarse from crying, "I shouldn't of been a bitch about it, you were only trying to help."

Sarah smiled slightly, then her smile faded. She whispered, "Where's JJ? Is he okay?"

"No, but he pretends like he is." Aurora explained, as the burning sensation appeared at the back of her throat. Tears filled her eyes, "He spent all of the restitution money and I couldn't stop him. He nearly fucking killed him, whilst I've passed out... like the ungrateful piece of shit I am-"

"You're not a piece of shit." Sarah interrupted, as she stopped cleaning the cuts, "Aurora you're kind, loyal, and beautiful. You don't deserve a dad like him, okay? He's an asshole."

Aurora stayed silent, as she looked at Sarah. She hesitated, "Do you mind if I stay here for the night? I can't go back to the Château like this."

"Of course." Sarah replied softly, "You can stay for as long as you like."

Aurora tried to smile, then paused, "Hey, Sarah."

"Hey, Aurora." Sarah whispered back.

Rory hesitated, "Why are you so nice to me when I've treated you like shit?"

"Because you had a reason to." Sarah explained, "Cheating on you was the worst decision of my life, and I'm sorry. I was afraid people would treat me differently if I had a girlfriend...The truth is, I never stopped loving you."

Rory paused, "What about John B?"

"What about him?" Sarah questioned, "He's out fishing with my dad."

"No, as in, what about you and John
B?" Aurora frowned, "You're together."

Sarah hesitated before replying, and Rory could see the doubt and regret filling her facial features. She wanted Sarah more than anything, but she couldn't do that to John B, could she?