chapter 30

" So, can I go home now?" Summer asked her uncle

" That would be ideal but the situation has gotten out of hand." He said 

Summer frowned and then stared at her hands before sighing.

" Can I at least call my father?" She asked

He sighed then shook his head.

" Can't, they have their eyes on us and it is easy to trace a phone call." He reasoned with her

"So, will we stay in hiding until everything is over?" She asked 

He smiled at her before picking up the apple in the fruit bowl.

"No, you, my sweet annoying niece will be going to Italy." He bit into the apple as she blinked at him.

Summer stared at the old-styled mansion in front of her in awe. Even if she couldn't admit it but she was nervous. This was the first time meeting her grandparents.

She pushed the button in front of the door then slight jump, not expecting the bell to be so loud.

After a few seconds, the door opened causing her to shift her weight to her other leg as she nervously held her backpack.

She suddenly hears a gasp causing her to back up a little when her eyes made contact with the old woman.

" Is that you, my granddaughter?" The old woman asked with so many emotion laced in her voice

Before she could respond, she was brought into a tight embrace. 

" Do you like them?" Her grandma asked 

" Yes, they remind me of cake but in a form of a cookie." Summer said while wiping her lips with the back of her sleeve

" I'm glad that you like them because I kind of got carried away and baked more than I could account for." She said while giving her a warm smile

Summer smiled back, warming up to her grandmother.

"I'm sure there's enough space still left in my stomach." She jokingly said

suddenly they heard footsteps heading towards them causing their heads to snap in the direction of the sound.

" Amore." An old man who looked like a twin of her father said then he turned to her," And you must be my lovely granddaughter that I have been hearing everyone talk about."

Summer awkwardly smiled and waved her hand with a nervous "hi" causing him to chuckle.

" There's no need to be scared around here, we are family and family protects each other so you can freely express yourself." He said

Her grandmother smiled at her before suggesting" I think we should show her around the town, you might find something interesting."

Summer stared at the vegetable stand as her grandmother kept mentioning why certain vegetables are good for her as she picked from the stand.

Summer nodded her head along then her eyes trailed off to her grandfather who was checking the art suppliers.

She walked up to him and joined her grandfather, as they both admired the creative environment.

" Your father used to paint when he was younger." He said," Gabriele was the opposite, he liked picking fights with older kids while Domenico was more of a quiet kid."

" What made my father change?" Summer asked, wanting to know how a quiet child become a leader of a mafia 

"Famiglia." He responed

The cold wind brow her hair, causing her to shiver as the back of her neck felt exposed.

She closed her eyes and breathed into the fresh air. Clearing her mind from all of the past events.

When she felt like her mind was clear enough, she opened her eyes then stared up. 

At the night.

The stars were beautiful in Italy.

All she could wish for was that the situation would not get worse or maybe she just had one crazy dream and she was still in her bed, back at home.

[Unedited]