37.

Odell
3am

"Come on mama

"Come on mama. You don't wanna go to sleep?" I asked Saylor.

Her sleeping patterns have been killing me lately. I read some child psychology books and apparently this is a sign of growth. Every baby goes through it. I just don't know how much longer I can do this by myself.

I kept thinking to myself until I heard a light knock on the door.

"You need to trade with someone?" Ameerah asked.

"Nah I couldn't ask you to do that. She's not your responsibility." I said lying.

But she was.

"I don't mind. You look tired as hell and I wanna spend time with her... Is that weird?" She asked.

"No, not at all. I'm glad you wanna spend time with her."

Maybe them spending some alone time together isn't so bad.

"I'll let you get her this late one time. Next time I'm keeping her. I don't care how tired I look."

"Yeah yeah. Let me see her." She asked reaching for her.

"Hiii stink. You're wide awake." She said cooing at her.

"Did you miss me?"

Saylor tried talking back

"Oh you did mama. I missed you too. Yes I didd." She said kissing her cheek.

Saylor smiled. I couldn't let her mom ruin this. It doesn't matter if she remembers or not. She doesn't deserve what she's about to do to her.

I closed the door leaving them in the room alone.

Hours later

I jumped up and looked at my alarm clock. It was noon and nobody woke me up?!

I went to the bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth so I could check on Ameerah and Saylor. As soon as I walked out I ran into Ameerah.

"What's wrong?" She asked looking concerned.