38.

Omniscient POV

"You still haven't heard anything from Ameerah? The hearing is gonna start soon." Mariah asked.

"We haven't spoke with her since she found out the truth in your office. Is there anyway we can win this without her here?" Duke asked.

"Depending on how they try to spin this case it could go either way. I'm not a miracle worker Duke. You have to work with me." She said.

"I know man. We been looking for her since that day but we can't find her. She hasn't reached out to anyone of us." Duke said.

"Not even to check on Saylor?" Mariah asked.

Duke shook his head no. He was more disappointed that she didn't reach out to check on Saylor rather than them.

"I'm sorry Duke. I'll do everything I can." She said rubbing his shoulder.

"Preciate it." He responded.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Carmichael." The bailiff said.

"You may be seated." Judge Carmichael said.

"Now what brings you all to my courtroom today?"
~~~

"When do you plan on talking to them again? Don't you think a week is long enough?" Mj asked.

"I don't know but you're lucky I'm even talking to you. You're always trying to play peace maker." Ameerah said.

"Ahh there's the Ameerah I know." He said with a smile.

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked with an attitude.

"I see that personality is coming back."

"Whatever. I have so many missed calls and voicemails from them. I guess I'll listen to the most recent one. It's from Duke."

"Ameerah, I know I'm one of the last people you wanna talk to right now but this is important. Tomorrow at 2pm, we're having a hearing to fight for custody of Saylor and it'll look bad if you aren't there. Don't show up for us. Show up for her. Don't do to her what your mom did to you. Regardless of what happened between us, she needs you mama. Call me back or let us know if you're coming man."

He sounded desperate.

"What time is it now?" She asked.

"A little after one."

"So what are you waiting for? Let's go."

"I don't know Mj."

"What you mean you don't know? What don't you know?"

"I didn't ask for this. I never wanted a baby. I don't even know how this happened. I don't think I'm ready for this."

"So what are you saying?"

"You just gone give her up to your moms like that? That easy?" He asked with his face scrunched.

Ameerah shrugged her shoulders.

It was true. Ameerah didn't really want to have a baby.

"Nah man. Did you just hear what Duke said? Saylor needs you. I know you don't remember much but growing up in your moms house was hell for you. Shit you tried to kill yourself Ameerah."

"I know this situation is a lot on you and I can't imagine how you feel but you're a mother now. Regardless of how it happened or how you might feel about it, the Ameerah I know would be the best mother she could be. Regardless of the situation because that baby didn't ask to be here. It's no need for another innocent person to suffer when you can change that."