makeover

On days like today, where the sun shines it is nice and warm, I always sit outside in the garden and read a book

At the moment, I'm reading a book where the main character gets an illness and her oh so great husband cheats on her because she will die soon anyway. I hope no woman in this world has to go through such a disappointment in life. If I were her, I would have punched him first and then cried because I was so stupid to love his acting where he pretends to love me.

"Ari?"

Why are you always interrupted at the most exciting point? She was just about to find out that he was cheating on her.   
                                                                                                                              "What Filomena?"

"Can you come in for a minute?"

I turned around and saw her at the patio door with foil on her head. I definitely need a picture of that.                                                                           

I put my book aside and followed her into the house. Just to mention, I was in the garden for about an hour and our living room turned into half a hair salon.

"What's this all about?"

"Makeover time!" shouts Filomena excitedly.

My mom just giggled from across the living room, where she was getting her nails done.

"Sit down το παιδί μου" my mother then spoke "you are now being prepared for Saturday evening". 
(my child)

"I don't need a Makeo-"

"Yes you do" my sister interrupted me.

With a sigh I sat down in one of the beige chairs in front of which a mirror stood.

"So, what do you want Ms. Arvanitis"

"Hmm"  I hummed to myself, "Nothing, bye"
I answered while I got up from the chair and walked towards the garden, because I love my long brown hair the way it is, and I won't change it in any way.

An hour has already passed, and I'm still sitting here on this chair, my butt is about to become square. Yes, Filomena has managed to persuade me, and now I sit here. 

"And, done" Finally, relieved, I stood up and the first thing I saw were the shocked faces of my brothers and father who had recently returned and were talking to my mother and sister.

"What?"

"You had your hair cut?" Ares asked me horrified.

"Yes and?"

"We all know you would never cut your hair, why the change of heart"

"Ugh, everyone changes their mind okay, and if I'm honest I actually like my hair better now"

"I knew it" my sister smiled at me with her blonde shortcut hair.

"Αriadne, σε παρακαλώ έλα μαζί μας". After I sat down with Achilles, my father started talking about who was going to be there on Saturday and with whom they had to try to build an alliance. (Ariadne, please join us)

"Stay away from the Spanish and Russian mafia!" my mother mentioned with a strict tone. "Especially you Ariadne, you will attract attention on Saturday"

"I hope because of my beauty"

"Ariadne! Listen to me and stop interrupting me!" immediately my smile disappeared, and I sat up straight, my father is a mafia boss but has a much too soft heart towards his children, which cannot be said about my mother.

"No, you stay away from everyone, and you will stand next to your brothers all the time, so hopefully you will stay somewhat covered"

Ares and Achilles just nodded with a look of agreement.

"Okay, okay sorry I will"

"Good, you can go now except Achilles and Ares, please come to my office in 5 minutes" my father ordered them while Filomena and I disappeared upstairs to show each other our outfits for the ball.

"So, where's your dress?"

"In my closet" and immediately I turned around with a big smile to open the door.

"Wait, what's the deal with the Russian and Spanish mafia?" and directly my smile disappeared, I felt that she was looking at me with her eyes full of suspicion, but I didn't turn around.

"They are bad people Ari, stay away from them" is the only thing I could answer her and immediately ran out of her room to my own.

As I took a seat on my bed, all sorts of thoughts and memories immediately enter my head. I know it's not right to lie to Ari, but it's only to protect the family.                                                                 

If only I could change that one day, 6 years ago.                                                                                                 If only my curious 17-year-old me had stayed in my room.                                                                        If only I hadn't been in the house that day.

Then I would not have to live now with this secret, which I would like to simply delete from my memory.

I didn't even notice the tears rolling down my cheek until I saw myself in the mirror.

Weak Filomena, you are just weak, I thought to myself.                                                                                     

I immediately wiped away the tears and went into my adjoining bathroom. It makes sense to have a bathroom in the room so no one can see when you lose your strength and collapse.                                                                                                  

"You can't show any weakness Filomena, you have to make her proud, no matter how many nerves it costs you and how many secrets you have to hide from the family."  I told myself.                                    

But if they find out that I knew all this, they will hate me and kill me, but it doesn't matter, I will make her proud.