Chapter 9

Days came and went. I wasn't keeping track of the date, so I was quite surprised when my father popped into my room one morning as I was doing online homework on my laptop and reminded me that the next day was the big day.

I didn't have the habit of marking my calendar like how some people did. Once, I realized that the page of my calendar was still in April when it was already July. Funny how I was just so forgetful sometimes.

"Chaewon," he called, strolling into my room and giving a glance at every corner of it. That was his routine, you can put it. His habit was to scrutinize every inch of a space he'd just entered and give some comments about it before he got to the point. Normally, someone had to give him a reminder what was his real purpose of being here so that he'd finally stop beating around the bush.

My father smoothed a crease on my bed, earning an eye roll from me. "Abeoji, please, just say what you have to say," I said impatiently, clicking my tongue disapprovingly. "You're always like that."

Somehow, he managed a smile. "Right. I just wanted to remind you that the anniversary event would be in a day, meaning tomorrow, so do get ready. If you do not have an appropriate dress." With that, he dragged his feet out of my room, leaving my eyes fixed on the open doorway of my room. Only a while later did I pry my eyes away from it and focus on my homework.

But seriously, why was he so exhilarated just because of the anniversary of his business franchise? It wasn't like that was the best thing that had ever happened to him, was it? He was just so high today. And what's more, he was dragging me into his state of euphoria and forcing me to be joyous just like him when I was already worrying about my homework load and end-of-year exams.

Deciding to take a break from homework for just a while, I rummaged through my closet to check if I had a nice gown or dress for formal ceremonies and parties like the one I was attending tomorrow. Being someone who disliked dresses, I couldn't find one, unsurprisingly. The only dress that I had was a hot pink lacy dress that I'd already outgrown by a few inches. The last time I'd worn it was quite a few years ago when I was still in elementary school when I'd gone to my friend's birthday party.

Those were such good memories from Gwangju that I found myself standing in front of my closet, staring into space and reminiscing those good old days, all before my father started being distant and before we moved to Busan here.

Smiling sadly, I returned to my pile of homework waiting for me to finish them.

***

My father was binging on snacks from my snack stash in the kitchen cabinet when I came out for lunch.

For months I'd thought the snack stash was a secret that only I knew, but turned out, my father long had his eyes on them.

I didn't bother to snatch the snack back from my father. Figuring that I should please him so that he'd be nice to me in turn, I sat next to him on the couch armrest. "I don't have a formal dress that I can wear for the ceremony tomorrow. Is it okay if you can give me a drive to the mall?"

Popping another piece of chip into his mouth, my father answered with no expression in particular, "We will go now. Get changed. Tell your mother that we will be going out for lunch."

I got to my feet too as he stood up to throw away the plastic. "But, abeoji, the food's already-"

"You will listen to me, Chaewon, or I shall not drive you to get a new gown." The last look that my father gave me told me that it was the last straw for him. Gritting my teeth, I nodded and retreated up the stairs.

A few minutes later, I was sitting in the front seat of my father's BMW, heading out of the neighborhood. It was one of those rare occasions when I could take a ride in my father's car. My father's plan for having lunch outside earned quite a few protests from my mother, but she rarely won any rows with him.