Chapter 13

It must be the voices from outside my room that woke me up.

I sat up groggily. The curtains weren't down, so the morning sunlight was spilling into the room, casting shadows everywhere.

It was a voice of a man outside. "Yes, Chaewon can make it." Silence. The person on the line must be speaking. "Aniyo, it's fine. Yes, don't worry, I can talk her into it."

The voice was my father's, and I wondered who he was calling. It took me a while to recall everything that happened last night as the details weren't clear.

Yes, the ceremony... then I'd left the hall because... oh yes, because of the suggestion of the blind date. Then my father sent me home. I was vaguely aware that I wasn't in my gown anymore. I froze, already wide awake.

I came out just as my father was hanging up. "Father, who changed my clothes for me?" I demanded.

My father gave me a sideways look and pocketed his phone. "If you believe I am that lewd, Chaewon, then you are wrong. Your mother did it for you. I am not the least bit interested in things like that."

Still giving him a suspicious look, I slinked down the stairs. Today was a Friday and I was supposed to go to school. So what was I still doing here at home?

"Omma, shouldn't I be going to school, today?" I asked my mother who was in the kitchen. The wall clock in the loving room read nine in the morning. Even if I went to school now, I was late for hours already.

There were clinking sounds coming from the kitchen. My mother was probably making breakfast. "Aniyo, your father called the school to inform them that you won't be going to school today. Don't worry, sweetie. You should rest. You've had a rough night yesterday."

My father walked past me, dressed in a white button down shirt and long black pants. "Chaewon, I have already arranged that blind date with Mr. Jeon's son for you."

I opened my mouth to argue, but my father held up a hand to stop me, giving me an uninterested look. "Quit the complaining. A no means no, Chaewon. You have embarrassed me enough yesterday. I owe my employees an apology. The blind date will be on Friday next week. Be prepared." Putting up his tie, he opened the door and shut it with a click behind him.

I stomped the ground with one of my feet. "Jinjihage? (Seriously?) A blind date for me?" The idea sounded ridiculous. I thought no one bothered with blind dates anymore, but the world is too much for you to know.

A dark figure behind the frosted glass door of the kitchen started growing bigger, then the door opened, revealing my mother with a polka dotted pink apron with a spoon. "Don't be too afraid, Chaewon. A blind date sounds pretty cool, eh? Anyways, it would be nice for you to find a decent soon-to-be husband, isn't it? If he is approved by your father, it must be a respectable choice."

My mouth fell open. I'd thought my mother might be opposing my father's decision, but alas... Plastering on a fake smile, I nodded. "Yes, he must be very decent indeed."

"Your father told me he is very handsome too, and also in your school! It's a plus, isn't it?" my mother continued with a dreamy smile. There was a sizzling sound from inside the kitchen, and my mother jerked. "Ah, I totally forgot about the cooking." She rushed back inside.

I stood there on the spot for a few more seconds before returning to my room to check my calendar for the tasks I'd scheduled next Thursday. If there was no way out of the blind date, I was going to attend it, but with bad attitude and behavior to deter whoever was going from liking me. Anyways, what would go wrong? I show up for a date with some random knockoff guy, then put on a good show of my lousy attitude. Job done!