Chapter 25

The moment which I'd took particular fear in seemed to come true as I crept into my room.

There were noises of loud breathing, packing and things dropping from upstairs, so I'd gone up there to take a look. Once I found out what was going down, I wished I never went there.

My room was disorderly and cluttered with plastic and cardboard boxes, with some of my stuff like stacks of books, sheets of papers, small trinkets and containers, pen holders, et cetera, et cetera. My bed was stripped of the mattress, pillows and sheets. My bookshelf was almost empty. The remaining books were toppled over one another like dominos, with some certificates that I'd displayed in the glass cabinet at the top of my bookshelf crushed. Most of the cupboard and drawers were opened, and inside were nothing but air. In a nutshell, it was a sight that I could only imagine in my nightmares.

A few men were in my room, packing my belongings into the boxes. Some were already closed, with ropes tied around them.

Darting my eyes around, I yelled, "What are you doing?"

The men stopped in their job. One straightened up, and said, "You must be Ms. Ahn, eh? We are from a house moving service company." He showed me his name tag lanyard hung around his neck, and continued with his job, the others following suit.

House moving? Since when were we moving house? Why didn't my parents inform me about it so I could have a heads-up on what I was expecting?

"Ya, stop it!" I shouted, picking my way through my things strewn across the floor haphazardly. There was a book from my favorite book series which weren't together with the other books from the same series, my diary with the small key lock, a trophy I'd gotten in elementary school for winning a literary competition...

"Missy, we are paid to do this," the man said curtly, waving back to his colleagues to continue.

Another man dumped my bolster into a box, squeezing it until it was in a weird sort of shape, with creases all over it. I lunged over and dragged it out of the box. "You're destroying it! Can you be careful on what you're handling with? Hey, watch where you're going! That's my school textbook!" I warned in a frustrated tone.

If the workers cared about the quality of my belongings after they'd packed them, they didn't show it. It seemed like they were merely for the sake of the salary, and not for their customers' reviews at all.

"Miss, please just move aside and stop blocking our way," another man said, clearly irritated. But I didn't listen.

"Can y'all please tell me who in the world ordered for this?" I said, giving every one of them a stony look.

Another voice came from the doorway behind me. "I did. Now if you could kindly move aside like how that nice Mr. said, perhaps they would finish their task quicker."

I whirled around. "Father?"

***

I refused to listen to my mother's explanation.

Her room was already cleared up, and now looked lonely and devoid of life. It felt sad to even be in the presence of it.

Squirming around on her bed, I shouted, "He can't do that! How could he kick us out when you and him just divorced? How ridiculous is that? Where will we live? I don't want to become a rough sleeper."

My mother sat on the edge of her bed, trying to coax me to stop. "Come on, honey. It's not that bad, actually. We can—"

"Not that bad?" It sounded absurd. "Being kicked out by your ex-husband is not that bad? Seriously, omma?"