Chapter 21

Jungkook looked like he didn't know what to do with his hands. Gesturing around, with his face blank, his hands eventually flopped back to his sides.

"Oh, you two know each other?" Mr. Jeon asked, a surprised smile breaking on his face. Jungkook said no, and at the same time, I said yes.

Mr. Jeon gave us a confused look. My father eyed me suspiciously.

Knowing that there was a need for explanation to end this topic, I quickly said, "Actually, we- we don't know each other, technically. We first met during a cohort bonding session, but we aren't really that close."

I thought I saw a flicker of hurt across Jungkook's face, but it vanished as quickly as it came. I gave him a meaningful look to let him know that I was simply fabricating up an excuse to pass the topic.

Jungkook seemed to know that, because he nodded in agreement. "Yes, that's true."

I breathed in relief. My mother clapped her hands together cheerfully. "Wonderful! Since you two are quite familiar already, it's a plus, isn't it? Now, do y'all want to come in for some food and drinks? I have prepared some..."

Mr. Jeon gave us a cheeky smile. "Well, since you insist, we must well accept your generous offer, right, Jungkook?"

Jungkook smiled half-heartedly, but nodded. My father ushered them in, while my mother scurried to the kitchen to bring out the snacks she'd made.

A few minutes later, we were settled down around the table, my mother serving some Korean snacks she'd made herself, together with some soda. "This is all I can make. I am terribly sorry if it's not to your liking," she said, giving Mr. Jeon and Jungkook an apologetic smile each.

Mr. Jeon popped one piece of yakgwa into his mouth, slowly chewing on it to let the taste sink in. An enlightened smile broke across his face.

"It is not bad at all, Inhye!" he said, showing us a thumbs up, reaching for another handful. My mother smiled and sat down on a chair beside my father. "It's one of my specialty, so please do enjoy."

We had a rather enjoyable chat over snacks, with Mr. Jeon bombarding me with questions about school and (Duh) my studies. Jungkook looked too shy to join in, which showed how quick people could change their personalities. From a big bully to the quiet kid.

While we were finishing up, Mr. Jeon brought up this idea, and I had to say it didn't sound that bad. "Since we are here, shouldn't we allow Jungkook and Chaewon to have their private conversations upstairs in Chaewon's room? They may not feel inclined to talk out what they have in their hearts with our presence." He finished off with a hearty laugh.

My father tilted his head towards Mr. Jeon, looking interested. "You say so, Bomyang? I would think they would be getting up to some funny business in there. Don't you think they need a chaperone or something?"

Of course, I didn't question what kind of funny business was he specifically referring to, but I already had an idea, and it didn't seem so great to me.

Mr. Jeon nodded, not seem to have noticed the way my father's emphasize on the words funny business. "No, I think that would not be necessary. Now, Jungkook, follow Chaewon to her room, please."

I got up in surprise. "Mwo?"

Mr. Jeon nodded towards the stairs. "You two can get to know about each other more in your room. Please lead my son there."

Nodding, I gave him a hasty bow before giving Jungkook the cue to follow me. His eyes didn't meet me, but he knew what to do.

After I shut the door of my room and turned the lock on the doorknob, Jungkook groaned, sitting on a chair that I'd carried here.