Chapter 35

"Omma?" I said in fear, taking in the befuddled and livid face of my mother standing behind me.

She was wearing a thick white winter coat, with a matching hat and scarf that covered almost her whole face, just like mine.

A cracker hanging on Changmin's mouth dropped at the sight of her. My mother was caught in the situation of a not-very-decent-looking Changmin right now.

"Chaewon, what are you doing here?" my mother asked, looking from side to side at Changmin and I, her arms akimbo.

I gave her a meek wave. "Um, I'm hanging out with my friend? Didn't I tell you that when I left the house already?"

Narrowing her eyes into slits, with the utmost infuriated expression not leaving her face, she pressed, "Who is this boy?"

Changmin opened his mouth, but nothing came out aside from a terrified squeak. Not very brave.

I answered for him. "He's Seol Changmin, my classmate and... friend in school." I kicked Changmin under the bench. He stood up awkwardly and bowed.

My mother tutted him. "Why are you hanging out with my daughter? Are you two dating or something?"

Changmin looked at me. I shook my head at him. "Aniyo, we are merely friends, omma."

Changmin squeaked again, but I silenced him with a look.

"In that case, I'd like to tell you that my daughter is already taken, Seol Changmin. You don't seem like the decent type. Leave my daughter out of it." My mother spoke like a possessive old-fashioned parent back in the ancient time, when forced and arranged marriages were more common than ever.

Changmin stood up suddenly like he wanted to challenge her. "Omma—"

"You do not call me omma, boy. What makes you think you can call me that?" Realization dawned on her face. "Oh, wait, don't tell me that you two are dating?"

Changmin nodded in submission.

"Ahn Chaewon, you know I forbid you from dating anyone else other than Jungkook!" my mother chided harshly, waving a disapproving finger at me. "The blind dates are already going so well! Mr. Jeon and Jungkook will be deeply disappointed if they know you are having a thing with another boy."

I clenched my jaw stubbornly. "Omma, why?" I asked, furious. "Why must you pave my future for me? Why can't I do it myself?"

"There is no why, Chaewon. Mr. Jeon and I have already confirmed it. It is decided. There is no way for us to back out without looking shameful. Our family may be corrupted, but our lives cannot." My mother turned away from us.

Changmin didn't seem to know what to say. "How— What?— What's happening?"

"What have you two confirmed?" I demanded, already dreading the answer and ignored Changmin. It couldn't possibly be that, could it? I mean, I was barely eighteen...

"You have no reason to fret, Chaewon. We are still turning matters over for marriage. Right now, we have only promised to stay in contact for as long as possible and be in collaboration."

She said it in as casual a tone as she would have discussed over drinks. I breathed a sigh of relief, but the idea about collaboration wasn't any better than marriage, even if marriage would be held when I reach the age of an adult.

Changmin stood between me and my mother, like he was shielding me from danger. "Ma'am, Chaewon and I are already in love and good together. Why does she have to marry another guy whom she don't even like?"

Cowering behind him, I said, "Changmin, it's alright, it's alright..." But he paid no heed to me.

"You insolent boy!" my mother yelled back, her eyes wild like a lioness's. "You kids have no idea what is love. Love at this age does not mean you will love each other forever! This is merely being smitten, that's all."