Chapter 31

My blood ran cold. What were the chances of a manic fan meeting me?

"Who... Who are you?" I asked cautiously, taking an involuntary step back. My mother furrowed her brows at the boy, standing protectively in front of me.

The boy threw his hood off. Those were the same pale complexion, tiny eyes, thin mouth...

"Lee Yongmin?" I gasped, stepping away from behind my mother. "What are you doing here?" My question sounded stupid even to me.

Yongmin stood in a casual stance. "Well, I help out at my omma's restaurant every morning and after school. Weird running into you today, but well, I run into a lot of different people here."

"Oh!" Yongmin's mother said, pointing at my school uniform, then at Yongmin's. "You two are from the same school? Do you know each other?"

I looked down at my uniform in surprise, then at the school logo on Yongmin's uniform, which was revealed since he didn't zip his jacket up. We looked at each other.

I gave a nervous smile. "I guess...? Surprise! Haha..." I laughed nervously, looking between Yongmin's mother and mine.

Yongmin's mother looked delighted to meet me. Covering her mouth, she smiled widely and beckoned us to sit. "Come, come, take a look at the menu..." She hurried to fetch a copy of the menu from the counter.

My mother took the menu and tilted it slightly to my side for us to view it together. Yongmin's mother took our orders as Yongmin sat on the table behind us.

Bibimbap was not a proper breakfast food, but if it filled up my tummy, who cares?

If you're wondering how Yongmin and I knew each other, it was because of the English tuition. Remember? Yongmin was that emo and introverted guy with the hood.

I took a look at the time. 5.15. About fifteen minutes for us to eat, and I'd have to get going. The bus wasn't exactly fast. And the fact that I had to change bus wasn't a pro.

The bibimbap was served a few minutes later. I wasted no time digging in, keeping the time in mind.

From the corner of my eye, I could tell Yongmin was observing us with a kind of curious intensity, which did not help matters. That was my weird habit. I had to set a good example, not for people to watch and follow, but for them to leave a good impression of me so that I wouldn't tarnish my father's reputation as the CEO of Escomix Electrics. It was sort of the default that my father had drilled into me since the moment I was born, to carry myself with a sort of pride.

I could have gobbled down my food in the blink of an eye, but for the sake of manners, I tried to ingest everything in as civilized a manner as possible, making sure there weren't food crumbs or sauce stains on my mouth.

My mother turned to the back, where Yongmin was sitting. "Yongmin, you have eaten already?" she asked with a kind smile. Yongmin nodded, apparently looking uncomfortable for being talked to so directly.

It might have been amusing to watch if I had the time, but there were only five minutes left for me to finish my breakfast.

Yongmin's mother cleared our dishes away as I set down my chopsticks, wiping my mouth with a tissue. Yongmin had gotten down from the table by now, fishing up his school bag.

"Chaewon, you can go with Yongmin to school," Yongmin's mother said, nodding over to her son as she was sweeping the food grains on the table into her rubber-gloved hand.

I pointed at myself in a confused way. "Uh, I go with Yongmin? Um, that's okay, I suppose."

***

On the way, we barely talked.