Chapter 19

"What are you doing here?" Jungkook asked, lowering his voice until it was barely audible, giving terrified glances of the door, which gently clicked close behind him. He looked much more presentable than the day before yesterday, when he had an emotional breakdown.

Jungkook was wearing a grey sweater inside, with a black winter coat over it, the collar of it full of fluffy fake animal fur. On his head was a black cap, with a few rings.

I turned up my palms. "What do you mean, what I'm doing here? I want to ask the same for you too! Aish, never mind that. Come on."

I held his wrist and pulled him over to the lift, pressing the up button beside the lift doors. "So what-"

"SHHHH!" Jungkook hushed me, placing a finger to his lips with an alarmed expression. I'd never seen him looking so paranoid before. "We should talk upstairs. My father is right outside. You wouldn't want to meet him. He's a horror."

The lift bell rung, and the doors slid open, revealing an empty lift. We stepped inside and pressed the close button.

I waited until the lift reached the first level before talking, in case Jungkook shushed me again. "Alright, can I talk now?" I asked curtly, crossing my arms.

Jungkook gave me a sheepish smile, scratching his head. I took it that he'd given me permission. "So why are you here?"

He shrugged. "Well, my father came here for work. You know his job is a lawyer and his office is very near this place. I don't know why I came along. Aish, what came over me?"

Jungkook was talking while pouting, and my heart skipped a bit. He looked so cute.

Stop it, Chaewon, I chided myself, slapping my face. You are not to have a crush on someone who simply took comfort in bullying you.

"Eh, why are you slapping yourself? Did I do something wrong?" Jungkook said in a frenzy. "Aish, I'm a mess now. Ever since my father made that choice for me..." He shook his head. I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. For having such a father... I could relate.

Patting his shoulder cumbersomely, I gave him a downward smile. "It's fine. My father is worse, you know. My parents are here for their div-" I covered my mouth, shocked that I'd revealed that much.

It was good that Jungkook didn't take notice in it. He seemed too worked up dwelling over his own problems. "I mean, you can always spill your problems. I can help you with it, by any chance..."

Jungkook looked uncertain, but he nodded his head. "Okay... Oh, we're here."

The doors opened, and we stepped out into an open air plaza. A glistening white fountain stood right in front of the pick up curb, spewing water. Businessmen and women hustled around, dressed in suits and holding briefcases. Behind us was an office building, with dark yellowish glass walls. Inside was an information counter, and a few coffee tables and couches.

I elbowed Jungkook's arm. "Soo, any idea where we are?"

Jungkook glanced wildly around, looked appalled. He didn't respond, and I assumed he didn't know a thing.

"Well, isn't this your family's area of expertise? Shouldn't you have been to your father's office before?" I asked sternly, raising my eyebrow.

Puffing up his chest, Jungkook said with dignity, "Ya, did you really think I don't know this place? I'd been here for, what, a million times already?" He started for the doors of the office building, beckoning for me to follow him. "Come along, I'll show you."

We found a vacant spot with a few couches and sat down face to face. "My father asked me to grab him a coffee," he complained, frowning, pouting again, which I almost wish I could stop looking at. It made my heart soften too much to take.