Chapter 24

I'd been absent quite a couple of days within three weeks now.

This Monday wasn't a great day to start my return to school. The weather forecast had predicted the temperature to drop to a startling 4°C today, and snow would be expected a few days from now. It wasn't exactly bad news, but still, trudging through snow on the way to school and back home with the not very snuggly school uniform ten times a week wasn't ideal, either.

Moreover, on the days with yaja, I'd have to return home at eleven, and winter in Korea was always much cooler at night. Not good.

Morning was somewhat similar, too. When it was still dark and the sun hadn't risen yet, the winds would send shivers down my spine.

And that was exactly what happened today. I wrapped my arms around myself, hoping to harness at least some warmth for my body. I had a thick winter jacket over my school uniform, but my legs remained bare other than the long white leggings, but they weren't that effective against weathers like this. Shivering, I tottered on with my bag on the windy street.

The sky was a shade of purplish-blue, with dense fog hanging in the air. As I let out a shaky breath, a cloud of mist formed in the air in front of my face.

As children, I loved to breathe onto mirrors or window frames during winter. It was always satisfying to watch as a layer of fog forms over the surface, and sometimes I'd write words on them.

Of course, I hadn't outgrown the habit even now, but I didn't do it in public. People would give you weird stares, and it was highly humiliating.

This type of weather was the perfect kind to sit by the window, watching the people outside walking down the street, dressed in full body winter coats and hands in their pockets. Winter and autumn always struck me as romantic seasons, that was why I'd had the thought about Changmin earlier on.

***

The school provided AC, which was a relief. If not, I doubted students could multitask trying to keep themselves snug and focus on the lesson at the same time.

Teacher Nam was no where to be seen in the classroom, so I assumed it was either she was trying to cling on to the last bits of warmth in her office before leaving it, or she was too busy giving a misbehaving student a scolding. There was a low chance she would be absent, not after her one week leave a few weeks ago.

The worst possible thing was for Kyung Ah to be absent the moment I returned home from school. However, I hadn't received any texts from her the days I was at home as to why I didn't come to school, so perhaps she was absent from the start, too.

At least now that I had Jungkook to rely on, and we weren't much of an enemy anymore. But during lunch, we were still hanging rather awkwardly around each other.

"Ya," I greeted awkwardly, giving a meek wave. Jungkook nodded to acknowledge my presence, and sat down at the bench nearest to him, signalling that I can be beside him.

"Aren't you going to sit with your group of admirers and friends?" I asked, taking a seat, however. While waiting for a response, I opened my lunch box, which consisted of danpatjuk (sweet red bean porridge) and another section, with kimchi and some tteokbokki. There were always the best food to eat during winter, which could keep you comfy.

Jungkook took a peek of my food. "Looks delicious. Can't believe I still have to live on school food even though my parents are this rich."

I noticed he hesitated for a brief moment before saying the word rich, probably because he'd already turned over a new leaf and wasn't about to start boasting about his family's wealth anymore. When you didn't want people to strike you as complacent, that was what you did.