EIGHT ─ [ . : 。✿ ] red gardenia

red gardenia flowers represent
secret love or affection . . .

*

*. : 。✿ * ゚ * .: 。 ✿ * ゚ * . : 。 ✿ *

MONDAY, JUNE 4, 2018

'God, what a day...'

Elijah was driving back home, after a long day at the restaurant. He'd been working there as a waiter for about a year now. It wasn't a terrible job. With tips, he made pretty decent money. And he got along okay with his coworkers. But man, some of the customers were terrible. Rude, entitled, even aggressive at times. It seemed like many of them forgot he was even a person, deserving of the same basic respect as anyone else. It was frustrating at the best of times, and infuriating at the worst.

Today had been particularly challenging. For some reason, it was ridiculously crowded for a Monday afternoon. Naturally, the short-staffed restaurant was having a hard time getting out the orders in a timely manner. Elijah had been in the middle of apologizing to a middle-aged couple for the wait times, when the couple started berating him. They called him incompetent, and said everyone in this place deserved to be fired for the shitty customer service.

He'd done his best to stay calm, knowing his manager was a real uptight, "the customer is always right" kind of guy. But when the man threw his glass of soda in Elijah's face and all over his work uniform, it was more than a little difficult to keep his cool.

Somehow, he'd mustered the strength to politely say, "I'm so sorry, let me get a manager to help fix that for you," before going to the (soundproof) walk-in fridge to yell out his frustrations.

So yeah. It had been a rough day.

Upon turning into the driveway, Elijah got out of the car. As he walked to the front door, he saw Naoki standing there. He watched as his roommate clearly hesitated, adjusting his black denim jacket and sighing. Naoki reached out with keys in hand to open the door, but paused, and retracted his hand.

Elijah, confused, stepped closer. "Uh... you good, Naoki?"

Naoki jumped, visibly startled. He turned around. "Yes, uh── yeah! Yeah, I'm good! Just... forgot, uh, which key was the right one... yeah..."

'Wow, he's really bad at lying,' Elijah thought. 'But I don't really care enough to figure out the truth.' He shrugged. "Alright, well, did you figure it out, or did you need me to unlock it for you?"

"Oh! I── I got it! Thanks, bro," Naoki said. He picked out the right key, and unlocked the door. Opening it up, he stepped inside, and held it open for Elijah, who followed behind. As Elijah walked into the kitchen, Naoki breathed a sigh of relief. 'Okay, I think he bought it,' he told himself. He nodded, and straightened up his jacket once more. 'But I need to get it together, before someone notices something's up.'