10

-• i hate him •-

The next day, on our way to Nanji Campground, we stop at Mangwon Market that is frequented among the locals for its popularity. I've rarely been to street markets so it's a new experience for me. And it feels good. The smell of food wafts through air, tickling my senses and making my well-fed stomach growl demandingly. Tanya said this market is the best place to buy all the necessary ingredients we might need for barbecuing.

"Agastya and I'll go get the local beer for us along with meat and other essential ingredients, if you guys want to buy something, go ahead. Let's meet here again thirty minutes later, okay?" She looks around, earning a nod from each one of us. We're at the centre of the market and given how crowded it is, I'm afraid leaving me alone would end up me being lost for the next thirty minutes before someone has to come find me. I need to have a company.

Mournfully, I watch Tanya take my brother away, the twins walk off together, now best buddies after spending two nights out in a row together, leaving me all alone.

Shourya turns to leave, and crushing the remaining pride left in me, I follow after him, keeping a good two feet distance between us so he doesn't think I'm tagging along with him. Even though I am.

He stops at the local shop to try donuts and I stop at the shop next to it.

The owner demands something in Korean, startling me and catching the pair of brown eyes I was trying so hard to stay hidden from.

"Huh?"

She waves her hand, asking what I want. I point randomly at whatever she's serving in her shop. Shourya chooses that moment to turn and resume exploring. Swearing under my breath, I slap the cash on the counter and grab the parcel of deep fried cutlets before walking after him.

A dress on a display at the side of street catches my eye but since Shourya doesn't stop anywhere near, I've to forget about it and carry on unwillingly.

We enter another street where he abruptly turns around. I quickly whip to my left, puffing my cheeks as I thoughtfully look through the snack options on the counter.

From the corner of my eyes, I see him approach me. Panic rushes me to act fast and I beckon the owner with a flick of my fingers. "How much?"

"400 won one piece." He replies.

"Are you following me?"

"Huh?" I play dumb, as though I didn't hear him. "Give me two." I say, holding two fingers at the owner. He nods and grabs a paper bag from the side to pack my order.

"You're following me." Shourya states.

I snort. "Why would I? You just happen to go where I want to go." I shrug.

"Oh, really?" He mocks. "Alright, then, I'm heading the opposite way now." And he walks off.

I wave the cash at the owner, urging him to hurry up. He hands me the bag and takes the money, returning to the counter to look for change. I sway on my feet impatiently, my eyes straying towards Shourya at an alarming rate. I can't lose him. God, I'm shitty at directions.

"Don't have-"

"Keep the change." I say with a heavy heart and whirl on my feet, scurrying in the direction Shourya went in. I come to an abrupt halt realising I lost him. Clicking my tongue in disappointment, I sulk in my spot, my shoulders sagging down in defeat. Now I'll have to call one of my brothers or Tanya for help and they'll know how dumb I'm when it comes to directions. Even Google maps can't help me. My lips purse together sadly as I stare at my feet, kicking at the random pebble and releasing a heavy wistful sigh.