50

-• i promise •-

Vivaan

"I don't understand you." Rohit shakes his head as he sets two cups of coffee on the table and occupies the chair across from me. "You avoided going home by taking night duties and now you're wondering why your sister wants some space?"

I sigh and lean back. "Because it's not like her, Rohit. She doesn't run away from problems. That's one thing I admire about her. And yesterday, I don't know how to put it, but she felt very far to me, emotionally. I get it she is upset with us, we did things that'd hurt her. But she's one of those who'd confront you, get to the root of it, not leave unceremoniously."

Rohit rolls his eyes. "Vivaan, that's a teenager you're talking about. You're a thirty-two-year old man, if you can run away from problems, spare me for this, but you're being very selfish for wondering how could she do the same. Do you know how ungrateful you sound right now? In blunt words, you're saying that it's okay for you guys to shut out the world, but whenever you need her, she must be there for you. And that's not like you, Vivaan. I don't know about your brothers, but I know my friend, and he's isn't this insensitive. In fact, he's the most empathetic, understanding and emotional man I've met."

I rub a hand over my face. "Fine, I get it. But tell me you won't react the same if your sister comes up to you and says she wants to work as a waitress in some cheap cafe!?" I ask in disbelief. "She's a princess, in literal terms. And she wants to work there? Does that make sense?"

"I didn't see you complaining when your brother was working three manual jobs for his coaching fees. In fact, you sounded proud as you boasted how he's learning the value of money, and this phase will stay with him as a great life lesson." He reminds me.

I swallow, clear my throat and avoid defending myself by taking a sip of the coffee. I know I'm being the biggest hypocrite out there when it comes to Taranya. But the thought of her working as a waitress in some run down cafe is enough to set me off. That's my sister, for God's sake. Not only is her privacy at stake, but I can't imagine the girl I can buy the world for wiping tables and taking orders.

"Vivaan," he places a hand on my wrist. I look at him. "Let her breath, man. She can't be around you seven men for the rest of her life. She must want to experience the world, explore everything the life has to offer. She was brought up in a very different environment, in a certain lifestyle that doesn't match our deep rooted thought process. Going out with boys, having fun, making boyfriends, it's not frowned upon there. And yet the girl sustained here, accepted the lifestyle you imposed on her, accepted you guys with an open heart. The least you can do is try to understand her?"

I interlace my fingers and brace the table with my elbows, resting my forehead on the knuckles. "She sounded hurt."

"I know. It's the third time you're telling me." He sighs.

I drop the hands and look down at the coffee that's now gone cold. I'm not a man of metaphors but somehow I can relate with the state of this coffee. We were force driven, raging men ready to tear down the world if it tried to hurt us again, like a scorching hot coffee spilling all over the surface, surging and uncontrollable, and then came Taranya, lowering the flame of anger we always flared upon, settling us back into the confines, calming us enough to the point we can experience the world and the world can experience us. But then things changed after accident. Her presence didn't let us stay angry at the world, at life, but the pain stuck, the feeling of unfairness, the questions and what ifs came back, making us go cold, like the forgotten cup of coffee on a lonely counter.

"We're like this coffee," I lift the styrofoam cup. "Cold, untouched and forgotten."

"I heard you wanted to be a poet?"