66

-• our first day together •-

Shourya exits the room to check outside. I follow him. We stop at the counter. But I don't see Atharva anywhere in sight. Turning around, I ring the bell at the counter. Vishakha looks up my way.

"Did you see Atharva?"

She shrugs, busy billing up a customer. "I don't know. I was in the kitchen. I just came out now because I saw the counter empty."

"Call him," Shourya commands.

I nod and fish out my phone. The call rings for a while but he doesn't answer. I try again. This time he picks up on the third ring. "Atharva, hi,"

"Hey," he replies, slightly out of breath. "I'm sorry, I'm late. Actually, my car broke down, and I'm trying to catch a bus-"

"It's okay. Take your time." I assure him. "We'll talk when you get here."

"I dont think I'll be able to. The next bus will be an hour late. Let's talk tomorrow in the school." He informs me.

"Alright, I don't mind. See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, bye." He hangs up.

I meet Shourya's eyes. "I think we were mistaken. The curtains sometimes flutter because of the winds. Maybe it was that?"

He nods hesitantly. "Okay, but talk to Atharva tomorrow. Explain him why you can't submit the evidence yourself."

"Yeah, I'll tell him that."

"I'll see you tomorrow in the university." He turns to leave.

"Wait," I grab his arm. He looks over his shoulder. "You're leaving just like that?"

"Should I kiss you goodbye?" He closes the distance between us and leans down. I quickly push him away, looking around the cafe alarmed. He chuckles.

"What is wrong with you?" I hiss, praying my cheeks aren't red right now. He grins lopsided. "I'm done with my shift. Just give me five minutes. I'll go get changed."

"Five minutes?" He clicks his tongue. "I'm willing to wait my whole life." He smirks, that plump lower lip caged beneath his incisors.

I push on his chest playfully. He stumbles back with a laugh. "Stop joking around. Wait for me." I whirl around and rush back inside the changing room. Closing the door, I lock it but it opens again. I remember telling boss to change the locks. He still hasn't. He never does things on time.

Putting a chair against the door, I open my locker and get my clothes out. I change as quickly as possible to avoid flashing anyone accidentally. Stuffing my uniform back in the locker, I slam it shut, sling my backpack around my shoulder and leave the room.

Shourya stands at the corner of the counter with two coffee cups. He offers me one when I close in. "You're strangely thoughtful," I smile over the cup and take a sip. My eyes go wide. "How do you know what coffee I like? Creep."

His hand slips down my forearm to reach my fingers. The action is slow, sensual, evoking goosebumps across my skin. Our hands interlace together. I don't pull away. "I notice the details about you. The last time we were at the hospital, you asked me to hold your coffee cup."

I nibble on my lower lip to stop the smile from spreading on my face. This man knows how to slip through the crevices of your heart no matter how many walls you put up. And he does it so effortlessly you don't even realise until he's holding your heart in the palm of his hand.

"Oh," I murmur, nudging him to start walking. We exit the cafe together. The people notice, and I feel myself stumble in a limelight. "This is intimidating."