42

-• saviour syndrome •-

Virendra stares at me aghast, relying on me to get us both out of this situation. I plaster an easy smile on my face and approach the old man. "I took his car yesterday to University and didn't bring it back. I was too tired to drive after midnight. Now he wants to go somewhere but doesn't have his own car, and you know how cranky he gets about misplacing his things." I chuckle, convincing the man in question to play along with my eyes.

Thankfully, he picks up, "Just get my car back by this evening. And learn to use your own things. You've a series of cars gifted by your grandfather to his favourite grandchild." He snorts, wishes his father good morning and makes an excuse of reaching somewhere in an hour.

The Chairman turns to me. "You're my only grandson, always remember that."

I swallow. "Of course."

"I've no grandchildren other than you." He states, his face sour before he turns to leave.

"Dadu?" I call out.

He looks over his shoulder, a brow raising in my direction.

"You came here for something?" I probe.

"Ah, yes," he nods, "Come to my office before breakfast. I've something important to discuss with you."

"Sure," I lock my hands on my back and nod in obedience.

He pats my back, looks forward and walks away, the end of his handcrafted bamboo cane thumping with each step he takes.

After he's out, I close the door and head inside the walk-in closet to get ready for the day. "Yara, play some smashing music," I command, whistling softly as I slide open the glass shelves. The inner lights turn on. I look through the options, bobbing my head to the beats while I make a choice. Eventually, I settle on a black turtleneck, a cardigan with stripped brown monochromes and dark brown trousers. I put them on, shift to the glass case holding the watch collection and pick the one with large, metallic dial. I gel my hair, style them back as usual and wear my socks before putting on my brown leather shoes. Then I step out, shove the books into my backpack as per the schedule and swing it on my shoulder. I lock Yara in the safe, tuck the key on the hook in the front section of my bag, turn off all the lights and lock the room on my way out.

I descend the staircase with hurried steps, enter the hallway of the Chairman's study, turning at the corner only to slam into a man coming from the opposite end. His phone crashes to the floor and my backpack slides down my shoulder to my hand. "Shit, I'm sorry." I apologise.

The man in dark suit squats, uniquely wearing a black cap that doesn't go with his dressing style, grabs his phone and dismisses my apology with a shake of his head. "It's okay." A whisper. Our eyes meet for a fleeting second before he's out like a wind.

I frown.

Why do I feel like I've seen him somewhere?

Shaking my head, I focus on the pending interaction between me and the old man. When I knock, he allows me inside and I push the double doors open.

"Oh, there you are," he smiles at me from behind his desk.

The unintended meet in the hallway runs inside my head like a flashback. I feel tempted to ask, so I do. "Who was it that just left?" I walk in deeper and drop my backpack on the couch, pulling the chair in front of his desk to settle down relaxed.

"Who?" He glances my way.

"The man in black suit, above five foot, broad shoulders, square jaw, rugged features. Who was he?" I question in detail.