49

Happy Independence Day 🇮🇳

-• a lie •-

Taranya

Seeing Akansha was like a slap to my face.

Her presence re-established the boundaries, reminded me of my place in his life and deepened the fostering guilt I had been feeling ever since that night in the car when I almost kissed him again. What if the one month thing is all a lie? What if I give in thinking I've a chance with him and he just uses me? How can I trust him? And why should I trust him? If he can lie to her, what are the chances he's not lying to me too?

Do I really have to deal with this alongside everything I'm going through?

I rake a hand through my open locks, gather them in my fist and twist them into a bun, locking them with a hair clutch. My eyes slide to the right, at the couple setting up the tent together and I release a strangled breath.

"Didn't he look uncomfortable with her touching him in the car?" I startle hearing Janet so close. My eyes meet hers and she cocks a brow at me. "Was I the only one to notice that?"

I shrug, avoiding answering as I unbox the groceries. I did witness the same. It was the only reason why I asked Arush to drive the car in his place. I wonder if it was because of her or if he was feeling slightly under weather.

But he danced so intimately with her in the club on the night of our accident. If he was uncomfortable around her, he wouldn't be sliding his thigh between her legs. I shudder just remembering that moment. More than Akansha, he had chemistry with the other girl he danced with.

Shourya is a lot more complicated than anyone I know. No matter how hard I try, I just can't figure out what's happening in that head.

Shit. I told Rudra we need to talk about something important. Now seeing the pair wrapped up in their moment, I'm unsure again. I don't want to ruin something I already have, for something I might have. I'm aware how that sounds. That I'm keeping a back-up in case this doesn't work out, and it's absolute shitty of me. But I can't give up on one for another just to lose them both in the end. I don't want to put myself in that kind of misery.

I steal a glance of them and see Akansha recording him on the phone while he does all the manual work. She seems to switch the screens when she steps in front of the camera and waves.

"No way is she doing a live of her boyfriend setting up a tent!" Janet gasps. "Does she have some loose screws in her head or what?"

"Beats me." I start chopping the vegetables. "I'm making grilled chicken, rice and vegetable stew. Raise your hand if you're in!" I announce loudly to the rest of them.

Shourya and Atharva raise their hands.

"Make your own if not!" I add sternly.

The twins follow.

I nod, before my eyes halt on Akansha. She walks up to us after shoving her phone in her pocket and bites on her lower lip, rubbing her palms together. "I'll just take a salad, without dressing, and an oat soup."

Janet and I look at her blankly. We're not running a restaurant here.

"Listen, we're not-" I grip Janet's arm, stopping her from saying something that might ruin the good mood.

"We didn't bring oats. But there's chicken-"

"I can't eat red meat." She shrugs.

"Why? Are you allergic?" I ask with a frown.