65

-• keep it a secret •-

Taranya

We stare at the pendrive in the centre of the table. It has the recording of everything Inayat told us. And despite having the physical evidence to prove the horrors happening on the third floor of Mankind Medicare, I still fail to believe anyone is capable of such extreme atrocity.

"They're using kids as test subjects." Janet murmurs. "I remember throwing away all of my favourite brand's products when I found out they practice animal testing. We really underestimate the lengths of cruelty this world has achieved. Every time I hear something gruesome, I just know something even more terrible is happening to someone else at the same time."

I sniffle softly. "I should have followed my instinct. I shouldn't have stopped searching for Meera. Maybe I could have saved her? Maybe I could have reported her missing?" I bury my face in my hands. "I did nothing." Sobs break through my lips.

"Tara," Ayush pats my back. "It's not your fault."

I shake my head. "I knew something was wrong. I had an idea. But I didn't care enough." My lips tremble. "I didn't care enough. Who knows what she went through when I was vacationing and having fun with you guys in Seoul?"

"I could have never believed something so hellish was happening there." Arush sighs. "I still remember throwing a tantrum over not being able to go there because Vivaan Bhai said it's a VIP floor."

I lift my head and wipe my eyes. "Do you think they know?"

All eyes shift to me.

"Do you think Vivaan Bhai knows?"

Ayush and Arush go stiff. "I don't want to believe he does."

"But I think he knows." Janet says. "Your father and he has been working there for over two decades. They have to know."

"And Yuvraaj Bhai?" Ayush meets my eyes.

"He does." I nod. I don't have anything to prove my words. But I'm certain Bhai knows. Him, Dad and Vivaan Bhai has to know everything. I still remember how uncomfortable Vivaan got when I suggested I'll become a doctor and work there. "The three know everything."

"Why would they not retaliate?" Atharva questions.

"Why else?" Shourya speaks up.

"Abhimanyu Singh Rajawat." I answer.

He lowers his gaze to his hands on the table. I reach out to cup the back of his palms. I'm sure he's shocked too. He has been unnaturally quiet since the time we left Inayat's house.

"For someone who found out his grandfather is a criminal who kills kids from his own orphanage, you're very calm." Atharva jabs, looking towards Shourya with suspicion.

Shourya lifts his head. Their eyes clash and an eerie silence follows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Atharva shrugs. "Maybe Inayat was right? You're a Rajawat after all. How can we trust you?"

"I trust him." I interrupt. Shourya looks at me in surprise. "I've seen him around the kids at the orphanage. He cooked with them, ate with them, played with them. And I noticed how genuine he was. No sane person would commit to such atrocity and then look their victims in the eyes with kindness. I trust Shourya."

Atharva scoffs. "Sometimes I feel you're very naive, Taranya. Would you react the same if you found out your Dad is killing little kids in his obsession for some scientific project?" He asks me snidely. "Won't you go in denial, cry, scream and refuse to believe the truth?"