54

-• Ms. Chef and Mr. Sous Chef•-

"Cause of death Opioid overdose and brain haemorrhage" Ayush mumbles, then his eyes lands on the other, fake report in his left hand. "And this one just says brain haemorrhage due to fracture on skull?" I nod, holding the cup of coffee in both hands to seek warmth from them.

We're back at the campsite. The tents are ruined. The coal and wood supply is rain washed and hence, unusable. We were supposed to pack up and leave as soon as possible, but Ayush suggested we sit and discuss what happened back at Mr. Khan's house in detail. So we settled around the bonfire, which by the way, is now a puddle of grey ash. The foldable chairs dried under the sun. All we did was brush a wet wipe over them before sitting down.

"He says it's a clear murder?" He looks up at me while Arush takes the reports from him to study.

"Yeah, he has been-"

"Why are the blood groups different?" Arush lifts his head look at us.

"What?" I frown and get up to take the reports from his hands. I notice the different blood groups. Mr. Khan's report says the blood group is O+ but the fake report says O-. "Yeah, the blood groups are different." I whisper.

"Must be an error." Atharva shrugs. "They just had to submit a fake report. Who was going to cross-check the details?" He adds nonchalantly.

"So, we're considering his report original. I mean, Dr. Khan's?" Janet leans in curiously.

I nod, handing the reports to Shourya as he gestures for them. "Yeah, but we can't submit them to reopen the case."

"Why?" Arush interlaces his fingers, arms draped on his thighs. "That's a solid evidence."

"Because the report clearly states who was in charge of the body," Shourya flips the page and underlines the name of Dr. Khan with his index. "And he doesn't want his identity to be revealed. Why do you think he kept this under wraps for over two years?"

"Makes sense." Ayush says in agreement.

"He wants us to submit this as a supplementary evidence." Atharva repeats what Mr. Khan told us. No, he warned us. Unless and until we've a solid evidence to reopen the case, we're not allowed to use this report during any legal process. "And as long as we adhere to his conditions, he's willing to give us the original report."

"So this is not an original copy?" Shourya looks up.

"Nope, it doesn't have hospital seal." I tell him.

"Right." He nods, noticing the empty corner of the report. "So, how are you guys doing this?"

"We'll need to find another lead." I take a sip of my coffee, my eyes drift to Arush and I find him deep in thoughts. "Penny for your thought, Arush?" He looks up with a blink. "What?"

"I've a few friends in the orphanage. I mean, had. They're not part of the program anymore, since they're above eighteen and doing good on their own." I lean in with interest. "But they studied in the same class as this girl...." He trails, clicking his fingers to remember the name.

"Inayat," I provide the poor guy.

"Right, Inayat. I also remember chatting with one of them on WhatsApp when this incident happened." He nibbles on the inside of his lower lip and a memory hits me.

"You caught that habit from your dad."

I automatically smile, glancing towards Shourya who's too focused on Arush. I stare at him fondly, before Janet nudges me on the arm, bringing me back to reality.