57

-• don't go •-

Taranya

I don't have a good relationship with hospitals. I don't think anyone does. But I'd like to assume some people did walk out of this place with relieved smiles on their faces. I envy them. Why is that everyone I'm afraid of losing, one way or the other end up here? I thought money solves all the problems and anyone who says otherwise, didn't have enough money. We all cling to philosophy when practicality is harsh to face. But even after having more than enough money, I still come back here, watch my loved ones walk the bridge between life and death, and pray they turn around and come back to me.

There's nothing likeable about this place when I step inside. It's too white, too bright, and too loud. As if it's trying to compensate for the lack of liveliness with optimism and energy. People rush around, telephones constantly ring, doctors are always on standby, one would think it's a war field, but rather to save the world than to fight it.

"Did he pick up?"

I shake my head. Janet holds my shoulder, a tender touch of reassurance as she slowly nods at me. I cup the back of her hand, releasing it with a gentle squeeze as I shoot a text to everyone in the family group.

I notified the twins immediately after we set out towards hospital. They're on their way with Agastya. But I wasn't able to reach anyone else. Yuvaan has been busy with his art gallery. He's planning to open his own than showcase his art in exhibitions arranged by others. So he's socialising more than usual these days. Meeting real-estate agents, hiring interior designers, recruiting curators, he's all prepared to run a business alongside his art projects. Yuvraaj is on a business trip to the US and Vivaan has a conference in Delhi. Before leaving, he informed us about being unavailable on phone for the next six hours, but there's a possibility the time frame can extend. I hope he calls back as soon as he sees my missed calls and texts.

To my surprise, Shourya takes the charge. He inquires at the reception, leads us to the floor above, and towards the VIP room Dad is admitted in.

"Yeah, this is him." He whispers, reading the name of the patient. "C'mon," our eyes meet for a fleeting second before he leans in to unlock the door. I step inside first, followed by Janet, and then he enters.

A sigh of relief passes through me seeing the doctor and nurse at my father's bedside. The nurse bows in respect but the doctor is busy reading through the papers that I assume are my father's reports.

"What happened to him?" I ask timidly. "Is he okay?"

The man in the white coat turns to face me. "I'm afraid I can't tell you. Mr. Chauhan has signed a confidentiality agreement with Mankind Medicare so we can't reveal the information to the person not listed as his guardian."

"But I'm his daughter." I place a hand on my chest, looking at him earnestly.

"I know, Miss. Chauhan." He nods. "But there's nothing I can do. You can ask him when he wakes up, but as his doctor, I can't. And he's fine now, but I'd advise you let him catch his sleep. His body needs as much rest as possible." He beckons the nurse to follow him out.

"Wait!" I call out impatiently. The middle-aged man waits for me to finish. "May I know who's the person listed as his guardian?"

"His second eldest son, Dr. Vivaan Chauhan." Then he leaves while discussing something with his nurse. The door closes and I breathe out exasperatedly, dropping my backpack on the couch before I plop down tiredly. My gaze lands on the unconscious man attached to different machines and IVs and a similar image flashes through my head, the difference being someone else in his place.