15

Happy mother's day! ✨ Weirdly, this chapter is dedicated to mothers, and what other day than today will be the perfect occasion to post it?

-• first princess •-

"Tara, did you accidentally exchange your shopping bag with a kid's?" Agastya holds my summer dress by the strings.

"It's mine!" I snatch it from him and fold it carefully before putting it in the wardrobe. "And stop going through my clothes!"

"You asked me to help you with your unpacking!" He deadpans.

"Then unpack my other stuff."

"What other stuff?" He places a hand on his hip. It looks funny but I resist laughing.

"Books!"

"And when did you start reading books?" He crosses his arms on his chest.

"When I realised talking to you is draining me of my high vocabulary." I retort, making a face of mockery at him.

"First get your phrases right."

I groan. "That was one time! One time! Stop bringing it up for God's sake!"

"Nope," he chuckles. "It'll be my opening line in your funeral."

"You're dying first, you roach!"

"And you're crying the hardest when I die, you female roach!" He bites back.

I open my mouth to counter his statement when Dad's revelation from this evening repeats in my head. We really speak of death so easily, unaware how hard it'll hit us when the end of our time really knocks on our door. I drop the item of clothing in my hand and step past the mess to hug my brother from behind. Agastya, leaned over my suitcase, suddenly stiffens. "Short stuff?" He gently touches my arm that's wrapped around the front of his shoulders. When I don't respond, he stands straight and reaches around to face me, his eyes cast down to meet mine, a faint smile on his face. "It was just a joke, Tara."

I nod, stepping in his embrace to hug him around the torso.

He sighs and places his hand on the back of my head, gently tracing it down the length of my hair. "Three months ago when I first saw you, I wanted to kill you."

I chuckle heavily, my voice sombre. "Same here. I was so happy when Bhai punished you for those cupcakes."

"Of course, you were." He wraps his arms around my small frame. "I thought it'd take me years to accept you as a family member, forget as a sister."

I stretch my neck back to look at him, a teasing smile on my face. "Yeah, you didn't last a week in front of my charms."

He brushes his lips fleetingly over my forehead, "I didn't. You got me weak the moment you fainted that morning. That's when I thought to myself, damn, this girl has got a grip on me. I'd kill for her. And I'd do it unapologetically."

My eyes tear up at his honest confession. "Stop, you're gonna make me cry." I sniffle.

He tucks the stray locks behind my ears, stroking his thumb gently along the length of my jaw. "Take care of yourself. You know how I get when something happens to you."

I nod softly.

Cupping my nape, he pulls me closer again, hugging me back to his chest. My eyes flicker over his shoulder spotting a figure at the doorstep, and I reciprocate the fond smile that dances on my favourite brother's face.

"Stop being a creep, Bhai," Agastya sighs.

"I'm just keeping an eye on you."

"And what's my crime, detective?" He pulls away, turning around to face Vivaan, his arm swung around my shoulders. I smile at their exchange.