58

-• friends •-

I enter the hospital room, grabbing my brothers' attention. Vivaan leans over first to grab a cup. I hand him one and offer another to Yuvaan. He goes back to his spot near the window, staring out at the city through the lens of unfiltered glass.

"Bhai," I address Vivaan, but Yuvaan includes himself in the conversation. "I met a school friend when I was in the cafeteria. Mind if I have a coffee with her?"

"It's already ten, Tara." Vivaan says, looking at his wrist watch.

"Yeah, just give me an hour." I request. "Arush is still asleep. I'll talk to her and give you a call. You can send Arush to the lobby then." I suggest meekly.

He appears reluctant but then gives in with a nod. "Alright, but I expect a call at 11. "

"Of course," I lift my cup from the holder. "If Dad wakes up before that, please drop me a text. Excuse me," I leave the room and close the door behind me. My eyes fall on the figure waiting for me at the end of the hallway, in front of the elevator. As I walk closer, and my presence becomes obvious, his gaze rises and he presses the button for elevator, standing straight. We step inside together. He looks at me expectantly. "Rooftop." I answer the unasked.

He nods and leans forward to press the button. The screen above lits up with an up-arrow symbol and the elevator jerks alive, ascending floors smoothly. It directly opens to innumerous lights, sounds of horns, and strong winds that tear through my open locks.

"Can you hold this?" I ask, stretching the cup of my coffee towards him as we step out of the elevator. He takes it without a word. I bunch my hair in a fist, twist them until they form a bun and tie a scrunchie around. It's loose and a few strands escape, but it's better than having them entangle to the point I'll be screaming in frustration tomorrow morning. When I look at him, I find his eyes linger on my neckline. I clear my throat.

He quickly looks away, returning my coffee cup. "Sorry, old habit."

"Should we sit there?" I point towards the bench situated in the pathways. He nods and we start walking. "Whoever's in charge of this rooftop gardening is doing a splendid job at it." I compliment.

Hearing me, he looks around carefully. "Yeah,"

"It's your hospital and you never looked at it long enough to appreciate the little things?" I sit down on the bench. He sits next to me, slightly turned to my left, facing me. His legs cross, an arm drapes across the backrest, the other falls gracefully on his knee.

"No, I guess I was too busy focusing on the numbers."

I chuckle. "I can understand people facing financial crisis obsessing over money, but I can never understand people who are rich enough to lead a luxurious life, donate, and still have more than necessary obsessing over money just as bad."

"I believe we humans survive on transactions." He says.

"Emotional transactions?"

"Yeah, and where it lacks-"

"Money fills the space."

He smiles. A beautiful, sparkling smile that puts the blinding city lights, blinking stars and a million gems to shame.

"What?" I whisper when he doesn't stop staring.

"You complete me."

My breath hitches.

He blinks. "I mean, my sentences. You complete my words quiet accurately. It's like- like-"

"We're reading from the same book?"