45

-• my heart's giggling •-

"Two years ago, he stopped his practice after being fired from Mankind Medicare and relocated to this small town on the outskirts of Rajgarh. He works as a volunteer at the government hospital on weekends and does farming as the main source of his income."

"How far is the town?" I ask.

"119 Kilometres. We'll reach in about two hours."

Atharva gradually picks up speed once we leave the city behind. Surprisingly, Shourya keeps his silence as vowed, the only condition I allowed him on this trip with us. He had been on his laptop ever since then, pressing the keys furiously, the tap tap sound annoying to the point I was compelled to turn on the radio. Soft music drowned out the clicking of the keys, but it was also the only sound reminding me of his presence behind, so now I'm periodically checking up on him through the rearview mirror.

An hour later, he dropped his head back, the laptop still open on his lap, and fell asleep. For once and more, I felt this urge to change seats and go back so I can fix his head a little proper that it doesn't strain or swell for sleeping in an uncomfortable position for so long.

But then I remember him telling me that's how he sleeps. Oftentimes, I wonder of the reason that put him in this weird habit. As if he has to be conscious all the time, be prepared to attack the world before it attacks him. And as uneasy as the thought makes me feel, my heart also aches because there has to be something, something so horrible that I can't even imagine what made him like this.

The only time I've seen this boy show emotions is when he was touching me, wanting me, confessing to me. Other times, he's an alive dead body, cold, depraved, who doesn't even care about himself let alone his fiancee.

"Tara, I'm a little lost. I think we need to stop somewhere and ask them directions to the town." Atharva says, bringing me out of the thoughtful daze.

I nod in response.

"Let's stop by the next restuarant we see. I also need to use the washroom." He suggests.

"Sure," I mumble, glancing one last time at the backseat before I shift my gaze outside the window.

"By the way, I hope you've informed someone that you'll be returning home late." He spares me a look.

"Yeah, I dropped a text to Dad and Janet." I answer, twirling the phone between my index and thumb.

I've already received a text back from my best friend, but Dad has yet to see the message. I didn't want to inform him, but still, at the end of the day, he's my father and it's him I owe these answers to. I contemplated texting Vivaan too, but since he was the first to play these games with me, I'm not looking forward to losing anytime soon. At least, not until I get an official apology from all of them. They should know how it feels to be on the receiving end of their irrational, unfair behaviour.

"So, anyone's birthday coming up in your family?" Atharva asks out of the blue.

"That's such a random conversation starter," I snort.

He chuckles. "Sorry, I couldn't come up with any. But seriously, I'm curious. I know your eldest brother's and father's birthday falls in the same month, but I'm not aware of anyone else's. Of course, except yours."

I purse my lips, remembering the remaining dates I've marked as important in my calender. "Well, Agastya's comes in March, March 8th. Vivaan Bhai is an August baby, precisely 24th. Yuvaan Bhai's is 23rd September, a definite Virgo." I chuckle. "And the twins are two months older than me, so theirs is in November. 29th November to clarify. Did I miss someone?"