Chapter 30 Befana (part 1)

That day Adrien turned sixteen years old and his parents wanted to surprise him with a birthday party.
Their boy had been in a bad mood since Marinette went missing, so they wanted to make him happy, but Emily wasn't sure a party was the right idea.
"Maybe Adrien doesn't want to celebrate his birthday" She said while Tom was gathering the ingredients for the cake.
"He needs to distract himself, and there's no better way to do it than with a party!" Her husband assured "We'll invite his friends and bake the biggest cake he has ever seen" .
Adrien walked in the bakery in that moment.
"I'm back" .
Tom hid the ingredients in the cold oven before the boy could see them.
"I'll be in my room if you need me" Adrien openned the back door of the bakery.
"Adrien, wait!" Emily stopped him "I can't see you like this. Please, talk to us about how you feel" .
"There's nothing to talk about. I'm fine" Adrien swore.
Someone rang the intercom and he went to open the door of the condominium.
"Happy birthday, Adriano!" A chubby old lady hugged him.
"Grandma Gina?" Adrien was surprised to see her.
"I'm here too" His grandfather Rolland said "We came for your birthday party" .
"Birthday party?" Adrien looked at his embarassed parents.
"Oh, did we spoil the surprise?" Gina asked.
"You didn't spoil anything, because there's not going to be a party" Adrien shook his head.
"But it's your sixteen birthday. We came all the way here from Bologna to celebrate it with you" Rolland said.
Adrien inhaled from the nose and loudly exhaled.
"Alright. But this won't be anything exhagerated" He agreed to celebrate only to make them happy.
"Great! Let's start decorating the park" Rolland smiled.
"The park!?" Adrien exclaimed.
"Your dad got a permit from the town hall to host the party there" .
Adrien looked as his dad and he made thumbs up.
_
_
_
Mariposa was jumping around the city, staying in the shadow so that no one could see her. She arrived at her old house, openned the window of her room and looked for something.
After Mariposa found it, she went back to her and Nathalie's hideout.
She returned in her new room with a small present in her hands and detransformed.
Plagg was looking at her from the light's lantern.
"I made this present for Adrien before we started dating" She said to Nooroo "I thought I would have been with him during his birthday. . ." .
"You could have been, if you had listened to me!" Plagg told her.
"At least he talks to me now" Marinette murmured.
_
_
_
Adrien and his grandmother were in the kitchen of the bakery.
Gina bought everything they needed to prepare Adrien's favorite italian dish: the cannelloni.
While Adrien prepared the puff pastry, his grandma puored the ingredients in the saucepan.
Felix tried to sneak out of the building, passing in front the back door of the bakery.
"Felice! Perfect timing. Would you like to cook with us?" Gina made Felix jump.
"I'd love to, but- uhm. A friend of mine needs help with his homework. I'm sorry" Felix invented an excuse and quickly left.
"I see he still lies" Gina sighed.
"He's always like that" Adrien said with a tired voice.
"Even as a kid, he used to make up so many lies. But your nonna could always tell when he wasn't being honest" .
"Maybe he lies because he's not happy with the reality he lives in. I can relate to that" Adrien looked sad.
"Your mom told me about your girlfriend. I'm sure she'll come back soon" Gina caressed Adrien's face, with her hand covered by flour.
"Thank you, nonna" Adrien didn't mind the flour on his cheek.
Felix was spying on them from outside the bakery and he was feeling so envious of his cousin.
_
_
_
After Adrien and Gina prepared the cannelloni, they went to help Rolland, Tom and Emily decorate the park.
Felix sneaked inside the kitchen and found the tray with Gina's dish. He looked at the cake that Tom baked and had an idea.
When Adrien and his family returned in the bakery, they made the sad descovery: someone spilled the cannelloni over the cake, ruining both.
"My dish!" Gina cried.
Her negative emotions were immediately sensed by Mariposa.
"We can prepare another tray of cannelloni" Rolland tried to reassure his wife.
"And I can bake another cake" Tom added.
"Who did this!? Who!?" Gina yelled, looking around them.
She saw Felix outside, looking proud of himself.
"It was you, little pest!" Gina grabbed the cleaning broom that was next to her. She wanted to give Felix a lesson, but Tom and Rolland held her back.
"Let me go! All the bad kids deserve to be punished!" Gina was furious.
"I agree. And it's about time somebody gives to Felix a punishment" Mariposa sent an Akuma to the Dupain bakery and the butterfly went in the broom Gina was holding.
"Befana, my name is Mariposa. I know that boy can be a real pain in the footh. But when you'll be done with him, Felix won't cause any more troubles" Mariposa said.
"A nonna's duty is to take care of her family, which implies teaching good manners to bad kids!" The woman was transformed. Her skin turned green and her clothes became a black dress with colored patches. She looked like a witch and she even had a flying broom.
"Gina?" Rolland didn't understand what happened to his wife.
"Not anymore, darling" Befana pointed the broom at him and Tom. A lightining that sparked from the point of the broom turned the two men into statues of black coal.
"No need to worry. You two have always been kind to me, so I don't have to punish you" Befana said to Adrien and Emily. Then she turned around and looked at Felix with a scary look.
He ran away with a terrified expression.
Befana jumped on her broom and dashed out of the bakery to follow the boy.
"Stay here, mom. I'll try to help Felix" Adrien said before he left the bakery to transform.