8 . HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LOVER

May 5th, 2003Tappahannock, Virginia

May 5th, 2003
Tappahannock, Virginia

"So let 'em talk, baby look at me
You got me right here by the heart, and I got you
They can try but I'll never leave
Cause you're the one, you're made for me
Only one that's made for me"

"Mama J is gonna kill you boy."

Naomi smirked, shaking her head back and forth and gazing at Chris from her seat in the plush leather chair across from his. For his birthday he decided he was grown enough to get his first tattoo, without the permission of his mother. But he wouldn't be him if he let that stop him. Of course he dragged Naomi along with him - she was impressed at how he barely flinched the whole time the needle was against his skin. He giddily smiled, flexing the barely-there muscles on the arm that was now accented with a detailed portrait of Jesus Christ surrounded by random musical notes.

"And the fact that you think Jesus is gon' save your life...do you know your mama?"

"What she gonna do? Wipe it off?" He chuckled, leaning forward and planting his elbows on his knees. "You next?"

"Hell no. 'Cause I'll be buried right next to you."

"Baby you so damn scared of your pops." He teased, watching her roll her eyes and wave him off. "But when you beat up Kiya at that Halloween party, was you thinking about pops? You got us both in trouble."

"Let it goooooo already. She had that coming for a long time before she finally got punched in the mouth."

In the 9 months since their relationship blew up to their parents, it felt like everything changed. It was great to not have to hide; sneaking around on weekends and ducking behind staircases at school. They were finally a real couple— for everyone to see. But it came with a lot. All these eyes and all the attention brought just as much jealousy as it did admiration.

Boys were always drawn to Naomi like moths to a flame, boyfriend or no boyfriend. But they couldn't understand why having a girlfriend made Chris so much more desirable to girls at school. He tried to explain to her over and over again that they just wanted what she had; the way he openly loved her and cared for her...how he spoiled her and she always had his attention. It was hard to talk her down when she got insecure sometimes but they figured it out by leaning on their trust in each other. That was enough until they attended their first house party together this past Halloween and one thing led to another...to another...and somehow led to Naomi dragging one of their classmates across a kitchen floor and punching the girl so hard that Chris was sure he killed her. Sean didn't let Chris hear the end of it for weeks.

Christmas came and went and Naomi spent her first holiday with his family. Seeing her cooking in the kitchen with Mama J and playing with his baby cousins made Chris fall even deeper in love with her. Even he didn't think that was possible.