16 . LOVE GALORE

*Kyle in the media

naomi

December 3rd, 2007
South Orange, New Jersey

"Is it fair that you moved on?
'Cause I swear that I haven't
Is it right that you've grown
And I'm still stuck in habits?
'Cause I'm finding it strange
That you're better than average
Hearts didn't break down the middle
Tell me how did that happen?"

"I'm starting to think you wait around for me to show up."

I crossed my arms, watching Kyle slowly walk over to me with a slick smirk on his face. I only came to campus a few times a month to meet my advisor, or when I had exams to take. Somehow, almost every time I was here, I ran into this dude. He was always somewhere around and he never quit flirting with me.

I found out he was junior, and he played for our schools basketball team. I guess he was kinda a big deal because he was on a bunch of posters and billboards all over the campus and the surrounding neighborhood. He actually lived in Harlem too, not too far from where I was. Far enough that I never really ran into him though.

"Nah I'm just lucky, I guess." He stared down at me, biting his bottom lip through a smile. I honestly didn't like how his eyes made me feel...like I was warm inside. I haven't felt that in a while. "How are you, Miss Naomi?"

"I'm fine. Busy."

I walked around him, heading towards the staircase that led down to the parking lot. CJ was with his dad, and I had time to go get my nails and toes done before I went back home.

"Aight so since you busy lemme walk with you."

"Wasn't you just with your friends?"

"They'll be aight." He walked beside me down the stairs, sinking his hands into the pockets of his gray sweats. He was super tall, skinny and had beautiful, smooth brown skin. I could tell he took care of himself— from the way he looked...the way he smelled. He was attractive definitely, but he was wasting his time talking to me. "You know I think it's a sign we keep running into each other."

"A sign...for what?"

"A sign that you need to just let me take you out. Or at least give me your number. Damn girl, I been tryna get at you for three months and you keep moving like a nigga stink or something."

"Why you wanna take me out so bad anyway?"

"Cause I like you."

I rolled my eyes, as he held the door open for me to step out into the brisk December air. Leftover snow was banked up on the sidewalks, and it was already pretty dark to only be 3:30 in the afternoon.