21 . FEBRUARY 14TH

naomi February 14th, 2008

naomi
February 14th, 2008

"Man, it was good while it lasted
That shit wasn't real, it was magic
If it was a record, it woulda been classic"

I remember my last good Valentine's Day.

Last year, I was fresh off my breakup with C, and I begged my dad to let me stay home from school. I stayed in bed crying.

The year before that, Chris was away on his first tour, and he felt so guilty that he showered me in gifts- diamonds, designer clothes and flowers. He even wrote me a song. But it was still lonely.

The year before that though, 2005, was the most perfect and beautiful Valentine's Day I've ever had.

February 14th, 2005
Manhattan, New York

Chris nervously rubbed his hands together, waiting for Naomi to finish in the bathroom and come to him. He hadn't seen her in almost two months, and it took expert planning to get them both together this Valentine's Day. It was a stroke of luck that the holiday fell on a weekend, and their parents had been understanding enough to allow the young couple to have Friday to Monday together. Naomi negotiated Monday off from school with her father, under the promise that she'd spend the next four weekends in SAT prep and have her college application essay finished before she arrived back home. It was all worth it.

Since they'd been separated, their parents took pity on them. And this weekend was special. His manger Tina was out about her own agenda, and Chris planned a surprise stay at a fancy hotel in Manhattan. It had floor to ceiling windows, a breathtaking view of the New York City skyline, and most importantly— privacy they'd never had before.

They were out from under Rasean's  watchful eye, or Joyce's constant advising. They were free to just be for the first time in a long time.

Time was winding down on their romantic weekend though. Naomi's flight back to Virginia was in a couple hours, and usual she was taking her time in the bathroom getting ready.

They woke up that morning to amazing "goodbye" sex, and after a quick shower and a meal they planned to spend their last hours enjoying each other's company.

But Chris had a grand gesture planned and the longer she spent on the other side of the door, the more anxious he got.

"Nae can you hurry up?" He sighed, leaning on the wall next to the door. He could hear her suck her teeth and swing the door open, catching him off guard.

"Why you rushing me? Damn." She stood in front the bathroom mirror, brushing her wild hair up out of her face. The fiery look in her eyes excited him. She was cute when she snapped on him sometimes.