55 . GROUNDING

NaomiJune 11th, 2009Tappahannock, Virginia

Naomi
June 11th, 2009
Tappahannock, Virginia

"We never been this far from the shore
We might not ever go back anymore
Got you all in your emotions, hit you with the force then
Tell me your desires, I won't ever tire
You'd rather play the game than to throw the fight
Boy you know that ain't right
When I'm needing your affection, I need that attention
Up and down motion, come swim in my ocean"

"What you doing here, shorty?"

I was greeted by my dad's smiling face when I casually strolled into the garage in the middle of the day. I had to laugh as I walked past the receptionist desk, remembering all the hours I spent there when I worked here. How C would sometimes keep me company when Daddy was preoccupied, and share the desk with me.

Since I've been back home, I've been pretty much bouncing between Chris' place and my dad's, trying to spend as much time as I could with both of them.

The last few months have been...a mess, to say the least.

You can probably guess, the news I woke up to back in February was just the tip of the iceberg in Chris' latest drama. The last thing I expected to hear was that him and his girlfriend had got into a physical altercation, in a moving car at that. I couldn't believe it.

In all my years of knowing Chris, as bad as his temper would get and I would piss him off, he never once raised even half a finger to me. It was never even a thought in my mind that it was something he was capable of. Especially with everything he dealt with in his own house when we were kids, but when I got to LA the next day, he confessed to me. Right on the floor of one of Diddy's mansions he was staying at, he broke down in tears at my feet and confessed.

Shocked isn't even the word to describe how I felt in the moment. I didn't even have time to dwell on that emotion though, because it became clear to me very quickly that he needed me. That he was going to be needing me for a while. He was breaking down right before my eyes and it was killing me inside seeing him like that.

I went back to New York and tried to focus on school, but it was like every time I talked to him, or his mom and dad, or to Mijo, he was doing worse and worse. The media was ruthless and unforgiving, not that I blame them, and overnight he went from America's R&B sweetheart to a demon in their eyes.

Endorsements, friends, resources...all were slowly disappearing and the ground was shrinking underneath his feet.

I went back and forth to LA as much as I could manage, and I actually finished the school year with all passing grades surprisingly. So when he told me his plans to stay at the estate for a while and isolate, it really wasn't a question to me whether I'd be there or not.